How many times does y = ax^2 + bx + c intersect the x-axis?

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members
Hello,

Can you please tell me how to solve this:

How many times does graph y = ax^2 + bx + c intersect the x-axis?

1) a > 0
2) c < 0

OA: C

I was also just wondering if these type of questions can be tested on the GMAT?

Thanks a lot,
Sri

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:25 pm
Hi Sri,

The concepts in this DS question are quite rare, but possible, on the GMAT. I wouldn't put too much time or energy into these sorts of graphing questions though, as you're not likely to see this on the GMAT.

That having been said, there are some Number Properties behind this type of graphing:

1) A graph of a quadratic will be a "U" shape (either "open up" or "open down").

If the "a" variable is positive, then the graph opens "up"; if the "a" is negative, then the graph opens "down"; if the "a" is 0, then you have a line.

2) The graph of a quadratic will intersect the X axis at 0, 1 or 2 points.

3) The y-intercept of this line (the "c" variable) is important because it anchors the graph at a point and then the graph either opens "up" or "down"

Fact 1: "a" is positive

This tells us that the graph opens "up", but we don't know where the y-intercept is:
If "c" is positive, then the answer is 0
If "c" is 0, then the answer is 1
If "c" is negative, then the answer is 2
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

Fact 2: "c" is negative

This tells us the y-intercept is negative, but we don't know if the graph opens "up" or "down":

If "a" is positive, then the answer is 2
If "a" is 0, then the answer is 1
If "a" is negative, then the answer is 0
Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT

Combined, we know the "a" is positive (so the graph opens "up") and the "c" is negative (so the y-intercept is negative). This graph would have 2 intercepts.
Combined, SUFFICIENT

Final Answer: C

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:56 pm
I agree with Rich; I'd say that this question is out of scope, but only barely.

The math syllabus in the OG13 mentions parabolas (the same formed by the equation y = ax² + bx + c) only ONCE (on page 139). On page 139, we see how one can find points on a parabola by plugging in various x-values to find the corresponding y-values. This is a pretty unsophisticated way to graph an equation, and it does not require us to know how the values of a, b and c affect the graph of y = ax² + bx + c (which we all learned in high school).

Another way to determine how many times the graph of an equation intersects the x-axis is to set that equation to zero. So, we get ax² + bx + c = 0. We can use counter-examples to show why statements 1 and 2 are not sufficient, but showing/proving that the combined statements are sufficient would, in my opinion, require skills that are just beyond what the GMAT requires.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:43 am
gmattesttaker2 wrote:
How many times does graph y = ax^2 + bx + c intersect the x-axis?

1) a > 0
2) c < 0

OA: C
For any equation of the form y = ax² + bx + c, the DISCRIMINANT is equal to b² - 4ac.
If the discriminant is POSITIVE, then the graph of the equation intersects the x-axis TWICE.
If the discriminant is ZERO, then the graph of the equation intersects the x-axis ONCE.
If the discriminant is NEGATIVE, then the graph of the equation DOES NOT INTERSECT the x-axis.

Question stem, rephrased: Is b² - 4ac positive, zero, or negative?

Statement 1: a > 0
Test one case that satisfies BOTH statements.
Case 1: If b=1, a=1, and c=-1, then b² - 4ac = 1² - (4*1)(-1) = 5, which is positive.
Test one case that satisfies ONLY STATEMENT 1.
Case 2: If b=1, a=1, and c=1, then b² - 4ac = 1² - 4*1*1 = -3, which is negative.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: c < 0
Case 1 also satisfies statement 2.
In Case 1, the discriminant is positive.
Test one case that satisfies ONLY STATEMENT 2.
Case 3: If b=1, a=-1, and c=-1, then b² - 4ac = 1² - (4)(-1)(-1) = -3, which is negative.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statements combined:
Since the square of a value cannot be negative, b² ≥ 0.
Since a>0 and c<0, 4ac < 0.
Thus:
b² - 4ac = nonnegative - negative = nonnegative + positive = positive.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.

I wouldn't worry too much about this problem.
Questions about parabolas appear on the GMAT only rarely.
That said, my solution above combines two concepts discussed briefly in the OG13:
In its discussion of quadratics on page 125, the OG13 mentions that the number of SOLUTIONS depends on the sign of b² - 4ac.
In its discussion of parabolas on page 139, the OG13 mentions that the x-interecepts occur when the quadratic is EQUAL TO 0.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by gmattesttaker2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:59 pm
Hello Rich, Brent, Mitch,

Thank you all for your solutions and for sharing your thoughts on this question.

Best Regards,
Sri