530 score, 45 Quants 17 Verbal

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

530 score, 45 Quants 17 Verbal

by deepakk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:41 am
Hi,

I have taken the test Today and see how badly I have scored(530,Quants:45 and Verbal:17).
Despite giving more than 2 months to Verbal Section, I have done nothing good.
Please advise me, how to overcome my weakness in Verbal Section.
I know I haven't scored good in Maths,but I am little more concerned about my English.
I have taken Class Room coaching and also purchased GMAT Pill for Verbal Section.
Moreover I took one month leave for this Test.
From Official Guide I was getting almost 80% correct in Verbal but in the test I was feeling that I know nothing.
Please suggest me how to prepare now and when should I give my another attempt?
Also please let me know where I am going wrong?

Regards,
Deepak Kumar

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:33 pm
Hi deepakk,

Many Test Takers perform better when doing practice problems than on CATs (or on Test Day), so you're not alone. You're going to have to figure out WHY your skills aren't translating over to the actual GMAT though.

I'm hoping that you can answer a couple of questions:

1) How did you score on your practice CATs?
2) What is your score goal?
3) For Verbal questions, how often are you "narrowing down the answers and then guessing?"

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by deepakk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 am
Hi Rich,

When I took it first time I was getting 390 and then 470,530 and then 620.

My score goal is to get at least 670 because I am not very confident after my real GMAT Exam.

For Verbal section, I am able to eliminate 2 to 3 options easily, but I get stuck between 2 choices and always makes a mistake.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:39 pm
Hi deepakk,

I'm hoping that you can tell me a bit more about your practice CATs:

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on each of your practice CATs? Providing just the overall scores does not give me much of a sense of your strengths, weaknesses or improvement from CAT to CAT.

2) Did you do anything on your practice CATs that varied from what you did on your Official GMAT (such as skipping sections, pausing the CAT, taking the CAT at a different time of day, taking the CAT on a laptop instead of a desktop computer, etc.)? The more details that you can provide, the better.

I asked about the "narrow it down and guess" approach because that is NOT a good way to approach the Verbal section and it can lead to some low outcomes. You need to shift your approach to the Verbal section to focus more on prediction and knowing what the answer is BEFORE you look at the answers than on the "narrow it down" approach you've been using. This will probably require more than another month of study, but your answers to the above questions will help to determine how much time you'll really need.

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:40 pm
Hi deepakk,

I'm hoping that you can tell me a bit more about your practice CATs:

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on each of your practice CATs? Providing just the overall scores does not give me much of a sense of your strengths, weaknesses or improvement from CAT to CAT.

2) Did you do anything on your practice CATs that varied from what you did on your Official GMAT (such as skipping sections, pausing the CAT, taking the CAT at a different time of day, taking the CAT on a laptop instead of a desktop computer, etc.)? The more details that you can provide, the better.

I asked about the "narrow it down and guess" approach because that is NOT a good way to approach the Verbal section and it can lead to some low outcomes. You need to shift your approach to the Verbal section to focus more on prediction and knowing what the answer is BEFORE you look at the answers than on the "narrow it down" approach you've been using. This will probably require more than another month of study, but your answers to the above questions will help to determine how much time you'll really need.

Rich

by deepakk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:15 pm
Hi Rich,

My scores are:
Gmat Prep 370(Quants 32 ,Verbal 11)
Gmat Prep 470(Quants 37 ,Verbal 16)
MGMAT -550 (Quants 39 ,Verbal 28)
MGMAT-570(Quants 40,Verbal 29)
MGMAT-600(Quants 45,Verbal 28)
MGMAT-620(Quants 46,verbal 27)
Real Gmat 530(quants 45,verbal 19)

I have given all my exam on my laptop but sitting on the chair keeping my laptop on the table.
For Gmat prep only I did IR and AWA.

I took mock in early morning(7.30 AM)
My real exam was at 9.00 AM.

I took break after each section for 8 mins.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar