Based on accounts of ancient writers

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Based on accounts of ancient writers

by BlueDragon2010 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:08 pm
Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century BC, worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, "the good goddess."

(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers

(B) Basing it on various ancient writers' accounts

(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis

(D) By the accounts of various ancient writers they used

(E) Using accounts of various ancient writers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:19 pm
Modifiers that begin with an adjective or -ed form of the verb are noun modifiers. As a result, the underlined portion of the original sentence must modify "scholars. The problem with the original sentence is that the modification is not logical; it doesn't make sense to claim that "scholars" themselves are "based on accounts of ancient writers". The answer is E. I go through the question in detail in the full solution below (taken from the GMATFix App).

-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:24 am
BlueDragon2010 wrote:Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century BC, worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, "the good goddess."

(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers

(B) Basing it on various ancient writers' accounts

(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis

(D) By the accounts of various ancient writers they used

(E) Using accounts of various ancient writers
A: Based on accounts of ancient writers, scholars have painted...
A VERBed-modifier that begins a sentence must refer to the SUBJECT of the following clause.
Here, based seems to modify scholars, implying that the SCHOLARS themselves are BASED on account of ancient writers -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A.

B: Basing IT on various ancient writers' accounts, SCHOLARS have painted...
On the GMAT, when an introductory pronoun lacks an antecedent, the referent for the pronoun must be the SUBJECT of the following clause.
Here, it (an introductory pronoun without an antecedent) does not refer to scholars (the subject of the following clause).
Eliminate B.

C: With accounts of various ancient writers USED for a basis, scholars have painted...
Here, it is not crystal clear whether used serves to modify accounts or writers.
Eliminate C.

D: By the accounts of various ancient writers they used, scholars have painted...
Generally, an introductory prepositional phrase serves as an ADVERB modifying the VERB in the following clause.
Here, the implied meaning is as follows:
Scholars have painted by the accounts of various ancient writers.
This meaning makes no sense.
Generally, when a by-modifier serves to express HOW an action is performed, the by-modifier will be followed not by a regular noun (such as accounts) but by VERBing:
John has amassed millions BY INVESTING in highly profitable companies.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.

Another reason to eliminate C:
WITH accounts of various ancient writers USED for a basis, scholars have painted a sketchy picture...
As noted above, an introductory prepositional phrase generally serves as an ADVERB modifying the VERB in the following clause.
Here, the implied meaning is as follows:
Scholars have painted WITH ACCOUNTS OF VARIOUS ANCIENT WRITERS.
To paint WITH accounts of various ancient writers means that these accounts were USED to paint a sketchy picture.
Thus, the with-modifier and used constitute an error of redundancy.
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3