Profile Evaluation for an ERP manager for EMBA programs.

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

1) Experience: 1.5 years at a Senior Manager Position at a Top Tier Technology Consulting firm (likes of IBM/Deloitte/Accenture/PwC) fulfilling a ERP Project Managerial Role leading teams of 60-100 on the client site. Previously 13+ years of progressive ERP Consulting experience from Consultant to Systems/Solutions Architect to Project Manager mostly in a Freelance capacity working for clients like Coke, Pepsi, Kraft Foods, Owens Corning etc.

2) Aiming for 700+ on the GMAT

3) Education: BS in Accounting (1998) from an Indian University equivalent to 3.5 GPA. Masters in Informatics (2007) from approx. 75th ranked US State university 3.0 GPA. Low GPA due to serious financial and time commitment issues as an International Student at the time. Managed a lot of part time jobs, self financed the program while maintaining a daunting more-than-full time student course workload to try to finish quicker.

4) Volunteer experience in some non-profit organizations. No leadership experience here. Is this a serious lacuna for the application?

5) Top 5 EMBA programs including Wharton, Univ. of Chicago, NYU Stern and Northwestern

7) Short term goal: Get an opportunity to Specialize in IT mergers/acquisitions at a Technology consulting firm or get into Information Technology/Strategy Consulting for the likes of Mckinsey etc.
Long term: Get to a VP IT or CIO position at a 5+ billion dollar FMCG company in a 6-8 yrs. time frame.

8) I came to the US for graduate school and then stayed on. I am now a US Citizen.

Questions:

a) How would you rate my chances for admission?

b)Is my low masters GPA or lack of volunteer experience a serious drawback ? Also, please do suggest ways to fix any other obvious lacunae.

c) Even though I am a US citizen, will I still be competing in the Indian pool of applicants because of my background?

d) Even though my experience has been progressive - a majority of it has come in the form of a freelancer. Do you see this as an issue ? I should be able to get solid recommendation letters from present/past clients describing the work I have done for them.

e) I have read in some forums that salary drawn at the time of application can be criteria for selection for EMBA programs? If yes, what is that salary range for applicants in my pool?

f) I am thinking of applying in 2015 and I will be 37 years old at the time.

Thanks in advance for your response!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:45 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Certainly your GMAT may still play a role in your admissions decisions, so unless you've already scored 700+ consistently on practice tests, I'd make sure you don't underestimate it and make time to prep for it ! That could also help offset your weaker masters GPA to a small degree.

Overall with a strong GMAT it sounds as though you would likely be a solid candidate for an EMBA, though keeping in mind that the top rated schools you have mentioned are always quite competitive so anything can happen.

Generally I think the most important things to focus on are those you can still change-- namely GMAT, and your application essays! You can make a large impact in those areas for sure. Think about all of your past experiences and what/how they will allow you to contribute to the b-school class. Think about why this degree is necessary for you and how you'll use it, as well as what makes you unique. Yes in some ways you are still part of the group of Indian applicants, but also yes having the US experience is a plus.

I wouldn't view the freelancing work as a problem necessarily, if it was still full time generally and your resume presents well. As for salary ranges, you can check class profiles on the school websites for that info and/or contact admissions if desired.

Let us know what other q's you have and good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sbose007 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 am
Thank you for your response Jennifer!

A few questions more:

One of my main motivations of wanting to get an EMBA from a top 5 program was to be able to get the opportunity to work for consulting firms like Mckinsey or Bain in their business technology/information technology practice. Now, I have heard that these companies in general do not regard ERP consulting experience in very high regard.

a)Is this a true statement?
b)Do you think getting an EMBA will be able to help me create a case for myself to get a foot in the door even though the EMBA programs don't actively help students find employment opportunities?
c)Would you agree that when in the program this will then need to be an exercise to reach out to the Alumni network and use other networking options?
d)Is any specific EMBA program better than others to achieve this goal ?

If you have any other suggestions please advise.

Thank you again.

sbose007

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:30 pm
Hi there,

Those are some important questions for your personal career, and at this point I honestly think you should do some detailed research considering the roles you are aiming for post-MBA.... see if you can set up an informational interview with recruiters at McKinsey and the like and discuss it with them... share what you are aiming to do, and what you are considering to get there (the EMBA) and get their input; they may even have advice on specific schools where they recruit more etc. And either through them or separately, aim to get in touch with professionals in the roles you are seeking for more advice. The MBA or EMBA is such a big investment of time and money, I wouldn't want to make that decision without more research into your post-MBA career options!! Best wishes!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders