Hit target on 1st test but I can do better

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Hit target on 1st test but I can do better

by RJDubai » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:23 am
I'm torn. I went into my first test expecting it to be a dry run, as I've only been studying for about 45 days and have only finished 30 practice verbal problems. I wound up hitting my target score (750, Q48 V45 8IR) but I know I can do a lot better. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the results and grateful for the good luck that gave me problems I usually knew how to solve, but I made mistakes with time management in quant and was rusty on CR and SC so I know I can do better.

I have plenty of time - I'm applying for Fall 2015. My question is this - is it better to just have one score and make it a 750, or is it worth risking a 2nd test if I can realistically aim for a 780+?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:23 am
It is totally up to you. The question is why you would be looking for a 780? Do you feel like you need it for your application? A 750 will play well on your application no matter where you apply.

Do you want the higher score for another reason?

I would say take a GMATPrep exam or two and see if the result is higher than 750. You do not want to get a lower score.

I understand the desire to score as high as possible!

David
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:58 pm
Hi RJDubai,

First off, a 750/Q48 is a combination that most people will never score in their lives; it's an amazing score - you're now at the 99th percentile. Thinking that you "can do a lot better" is not true. You might be able to do a little better, but I don't see any benefit in the attempt.

If you know which schools you're planning to apply to, then you might consider speaking with an Admissions Expert (you can post in that Forum on this site) and ask them if retaking the GMAT is a good idea. Barring a rare set of circumstances, you are done with GMAT. Congratulations on a great performance.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:14 am
I certainly agree that for the purposes of admissions to an MBA program there is probably no reason to retake. I am just curious as to whether there is another reason. Something personal or professional. Or maybe there is a scholarship I do not know about that requires a 760 + !

Maybe it is just the desire to get a 99th percentile. I can sympathize with that. I would just be sure to send scores to all of the schools before any retake -- in case you score goes down!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by RJDubai » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:32 pm
It's mostly ego, to be honest. I've poured so much energy into this test that I can't imagine walking away from it without doing 100% of what I'm capable of. And yes, knowing there's 1 better (99 vs 98) is frustrating!

The bigger reason is that I was an underachiever in college and didn't pull grades in classes I didn't care about. I need an exceptional GMAT score to show that I'm not taking this lightly and that I'm not the same person I was when I was 19. I was a national merit scholar in high school and that title was enough to get me scholarships from some great schools - I was hoping to use the GMAT the same way.

by RJDubai » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:32 pm
Double post