Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

13th Edition Question Number 92.

A ladder of a fire truck is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees and extended to a length of 70 feet. If the base of the ladder is 7 feet above ground, how many feet above the ground does the ladder reach?

The answer set mentions that this is a 30-60-90 triangle. How would I have deduced this part? I visualized correctly, but I didn't know how to solve.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:34 pm
sanchu wrote:13th Edition Question Number 92.

A ladder of a fire truck is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees and extended to a length of 70 feet. If the base of the ladder is 7 feet above ground, how many feet above the ground does the ladder reach?

The answer set mentions that this is a 30-60-90 triangle. How would I have deduced this part? I visualized correctly, but I didn't know how to solve.

When ladder BC is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees, the result is ∆ABC.
Since AB is perpendicular to the ground, ∠BAC is a right angle.
Thus, ∆ABC is a 30-60-90 triangle.

In a 30-60-90 triangle, the sides are in the following ratio:
s : s√3 : 2s.
In ∆ABC, 2s = 70, implying that s=35.
Thus, the length of AB -- the middle side -- is 35√3.

Since the base of the ladder -- point C -- is 7 feet off the ground, the total distance between point B and the ground = [spoiler]35√3 + 7[/spoiler].
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:07 pm
Hi sanchu,

Most geometry questions on the GMAT can be made easier to solve IF you draw a picture and fill in whatever information that you have. It's also worth noting that every question on the GMAT is very carefully designed, so you need to pay attention to the details and think about what those details remind you of.

In this question, the prompt tells us that a ladder is elevated to 60 DEGREES. Now WHY do you suppose that is? It's probably because this question is testing our knowledge of a 30-60-90 triangle (which is common enough on the GMAT that you're likely to see it).

So, try drawing a 30-60-90 triangle with a hypotenuse of 70 feet. If you know the rules of a 30-60-90 triangle, then you can calculate the other sides. Don't forget that the ladder is already 7 feet above ground, so that will factor into the solution.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members
GMAT Score:760

by mcdesty » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 am
Your scratch paper should look like the attachment below.
Attachments
Ladder.jpg

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Thu May 21, 2015 10:27 am
sanchu wrote:13th Edition Question Number 92.

A ladder of a fire truck is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees and extended to a length of 70 feet. If the base of the ladder is 7 feet above the ground, how many feet above the ground does the ladder reach?

A/ 35
B/ 42
C/ 35√3
D/ 7 + 35√3
E/ 7 + 42√3

Solution:

We are given that the ladder of a fire truck is elevated to an angle 60 degrees above the ground and that the ladder has a length of 70 feet. We are also given that the ladder is 7 feet above the ground. The best thing to do in this situation is to draw a diagram.

Notice that the resulting triangle in the sketch is a 30-60-90 right triangle. The ratio of the sides of a 30-60-90 right triangle is x : x√3 : 2x. We see that the hypotenuse length of 70 feet is equal to the "2x" from the 30-60-90 ratio. Thus, we can set up an equation and solve for x.

70 = 2x

x = 35

Because x = 35, we know that the side opposite the 60-degree angle or, in this case, the height of the ladder, is 35√3. The height of the ladder is 35√3 feet and the base of the ladder is 7 feet above the ground; thus, we know that the ladder reaches a total height above the ground of 35√3 + 7 feet.

The Answer is D

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by outsidethesidelines » Fri May 22, 2015 6:34 am
I worked through this problem yesterday and was conceptually fine on it -- i.e. recognized the 30-60-90 triangle, the fixed relationships for side lengths, and the need to add the 7 feet to the final answer -- but I ended up choosing the wrong answer because I didn't assign the 30 and 60 degree angles correctly, and obviously that gave me the wrong answer when I calculated the lengths via the fixed ratios for 30-60-90 triangles.

Reading back over this, the prompt seems to be really vague about where 60 degree angle is formed (i.e. between the ladder and the truck, or between the ladder and the building). Am I just misreading it when I think of it that way?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri May 22, 2015 9:45 am
Hi outsidethelines,

Since the prompt tells us that the LADDER is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees, that angle is relative to the flat ground (or in this case, "parallel" to the ground).

It often helps to draw pictures when dealing with Geometry questions. Beyond the obvious utility (you can then put in the numbers and "see" how everything relates, you can translate wordier questions 'step by step' and not be overwhelmed by the information.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by vickysan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:20 pm
mcdesty wrote:Your scratch paper should look like the attachment below.
Great visual. Thanks for providing the scratchwork, and Rich, thank you for the insight as well.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm
sanchu wrote: A ladder of a fire truck is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees and extended to a length of 70 feet. If the base of the ladder is 7 feet above ground, how many feet above the ground does the ladder reach?
A) 35
B) 42
C) 35√3
D) 7 + 35√3
E) 7 + 42√3
Here's an idea of what's going on....
When we compare the big triangle with the BASE 30-60-90 special triangle (which you must memorize for test day!), we can see that the hypotenuse of the big triangle is 35 times as long as the hypotenuse of the base triangle.
This means the big triangle is 35 times the size of the base triangle.

This means that, on the big triangle, the side opposite the 60 degree angle must be 35√3

Now before we (incorrectly) choose answer choice C, we must keep in mind that the question tells us the base of the ladder is 7 feet above the ground...

So, the TOTAL distance from the top of the ladder to the ground = 35√3 + 7

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com