Review of MBA Universities in (Asia - Pacific / Middle East)

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hi,

I am starting this thread to post my review about the MBA universities in Asia Pacific , Middle East region. As a MBA consultant, I have been seeing a lot of interest for 1-year MBA programs in this part of the world. Hence, this thread.

Here are the schools I will be starting my discussion with :

1. S P Jain School of Global Management
2. Nanyang Business School
3. Indian School of Business

Do follow this thread and let me know if you wish for some specific analysis to be covered. You can reach me directly at [email protected]

by Shohaib Abbas » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:52 am
Hmm. Interesting, in fact I had these three colleges in mind!

Followed by:2 members

by tejaskairos » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:54 pm
Business School: S P Jain School of Global Management

Offerings: GMBA / MGB / BBA ( The GMBA program is reviewed here.)

Exams Recognized: SPJET, CAT , XAT , GMAT ( SPJET - S P Jain Entrance Test). Calls to this institute are not based only on basis of your score. They evaluate the strength of your entire profile.

Duration: 1 year ( 4 months each in Singapore-Dubai-Sydney )

Specializations:
IT / GLSCM / Marketing / Investment Banking and Wealth

Ranking(s): Forbes Ranking - 19th best in International Business Schools ( 2013)

How does this MBA work:

By the virtue of SPJIMR, the flagship institution situated in Mumbai (India), and the business leaders it has created, S P Jain is a brand very well accepted by the India.Inc. S P Jain School of Global management is simply an extention of the good work that the school already does in India.

The school runs a rigorous 1-year GMBA ( Global MBA ) program through its sprawling campuses in Dubai, Singapore and Syndey. Participants begin their study at either Singapore / Dubai and spend 4 months learning from some of the best faculties from all over the world before moving on to the next geographical location. S P Jain has faculties who have taught at premium business schools from around the world like Kellog-USA,AIM-Manila,Schulich School of Business and many more. Academically, the learning experience is at par / superior with the top business schools of the entire world.

As a part of the course work, the students are required to execute 3 projects ( one at each location of study) thereby presenting them with a potent opportunity to learn about the local culture, develop business acumen , nurture their own network and be ready for exciting job opportunities.

What are the job scenarios like:

A detailed report of salaries and visiting companies can be found at the following link:

https://www.spjain.org/gmba/recruiting_companies.aspx

https://www.spjain.org/gmba/placement_updates.aspx

Expenses and ROI:

A 1-year MBA from the S P Jain school of Global Management costs you about 35,00,000 INR inclusive of all expenses incurred during the year.

What about my ROI?

The ROI scenario w.r.t this school is as follows for various scenarios:

1. Getting Placed back in India: A student being placed back in India will earn around 12-15 lacs p.a in the current job scenario. If the MBA is being financed mostly by personal savings, this ROI would definitely be a good deal. However, if you are financing by loans, you might want to do a detailed calculation. If you are already working in the industry and are earning close to 10 lacs per annum, the MBA will definitely succeed in making you academically more capable. However, in pure salary terms, you would reach the 12-15 lacs per annum bracket in an year or two.

2. Getting Placed Abroad: An S P Jain graduate will attract a lot of opportunities from Dubai/Singapore/Australia where the students would already make a good personal network. Having said that, Singapore as a market is a tough market to crack. Compared between Singapore and Dubai, Dubai is certainly more profitable in terms of salary earned. Moreover, the middle east also offers senior level positions to an MBA graduate. Australia appoints employees in casual jobs / contract jobs. A contract will typically last around 11 months or so after which an employee would have to re-negotiate the terms. In terms of ROI, Middle east is the place you should look for after completing an S P Jain GMBA

The cultural Mix:An MBA is largely dependent on the mix of students in the class room ( based on their overall work and culture profile for an International MBA). Being a school of Indian origin with a great reputation in the country, S P Jain succeeds in attracting a lot of Indian students into their cohort.However, with the Forbes ranking and aggressive student interaction sessions, the cohort will be a good mix of Indian and International candidates in the future.

Final Verdict: The 1-year S P Jain GMBA is definitely a very potent opportunity for students to not only become academically capable, but also to be well versed with different cultures and working scenarios around the world. The learning experience is definitely at par if not better than the schools in this league. In my opinion the program would be best suited for a candidate with an overall work experience of 3-4 years from the point of view of extracting maximum ROI after the course. S P Jain enjoys a great reputation in the Middle East region than Singapore where it finds competition from the NUS , NTU and Insead of the world and in Sydney, where the school has recently set its base. All in all, if you have a dream of working anywhere in Middle-East and Asia, this school is absolutely worth your consideration.

For more queries, write in to [email protected]