Query on Admission in master's program

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Query on Admission in master's program

by Sam Pitroda » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:51 am
Hello Sir,

I am Samar, working in a leading manufacturing firm (Jindal Steel and Power Limited) in India. I have 2.5 years of experience as a business analyst looking after process improvement, system improvement and cost saving projects ,and closely working with higher management. I have done my undergrad from Indian institute of technology with a GPA of 3.3/4.0
I planned to pursue MS in business analytics in USA and have received an admit call for fall 2014 from university of connecticut (masters of science in business analytics and project management). This is a 1 year program and will help me in getting a business consulting role in a leading consulting firm.
After working two years in USA, i plan to pursue MBA from ivy league business school. I presume a master's degree coupled with my foreign experience would help me in getting into the top business school.

Will this be a wise career path? Am i making the right choices?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by InterviewBay2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:34 pm
It's not rare at all. The two degrees serve different purposes. In fact, doing an MBA after MS and 2 years of work experience is a good step. Also it depends on what your goals are. It can be a good idea if the MBA responds to your requirements and will help you reach your specific goals, but first before you get an MBA, you should probably get 3-4 years of working experience (or if you have significant experience already, then maybe 1-2 years between your masters and MBA to allow you to use your knowledge and have it settle in, and gain the advantages of the first degree, before you move on to the managerial goals I assume you must have.
Go Ahead! Good Luck!