GMAT 690 (Quant 50/ Verbal 34) - Be-friended the GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Guys,

I know a 690 score and 'Beaten the GMAT' -Tag line must have shocked many of my fellow test takers who are really planning to Knock the GMAT out with 750+ Scores. But I personally feel very satisfied with my score and also believe whole-heartedly that GMAT beast is already in process of being beaten from the very day when we actually plan and start studying for it. The word 'studying' is a bit incomplete for the GMAT, it actually is 'To enjoy studying for GMAT'
When I initially started my preparation (4 Months Back), you know how we all get excited and so the same thing happened I got all excited searched for the GMAT Courses online, right material , right time-table, right everything except the Right frame of Mind. To succeed in anything we need to be 'MIND READY' first only then does it Materialize and we get right guidance, right pattern in everything. To get mind-ready I on the very first day of my Prep. I self-retrospected on what is my Aim , where do I want to get my MBA from and what score would be ideal. I wanted to touch the 700 though, truly speaking not as much for my college applications compared to the appreciation I would get. :-)

My studies started with : 1. GMAT Prep Mock Test- scoring a 590 there. 2. My second step was to find the right GMAT team, cz I really felt a bit of a guidance would be much better to enter the GMAT Den of which I knew a little. I really would like to express my deep gratitude to 'Experts Global-Training Services' It is a small set-up but the custom made GMAT-Time Table, video tutorials, one on one mentoring and study material all was perfect for me. I followed the time-tables diligently and GMAT became more of a friend than something I would like to beat or kill! They also have weekend classes in Noida, India for people who like personal tutoring and are in the same geographical area.

My GMAT Prep 2 - 5 days before my Test was 730 and it really boosted my confidence. I got a GMAT-Like test from Experts every 10-Days in my 3-Month study plan. Which showed me my present scale of preparation and by the time I was in the actaul Test : my timing issue, my nervousness and my worry all vanished.

Quant: for some people Quant comes naturally but for some (like me) thinking of Quant gives me Goosebumps. Practice, practice and practice is the most important. Always try and solve questions in a test environment. Do not time yourself in the starting of your preparation.
Review your mistakes but do not fret over any step in the preparation.

Verbal: My verbal score isn't that great and I feel its mostly because of the tiredness by the time I reached the last questions. I just wanted to get over it and I really feel with a little bit of focus I could have crossed 700. For the prep try solving OG-10, 11, 12,13; attempt as many questions as you can and follow your errors. In verbal error analysis is very important. Try finding a pattern, you will realize that there is a pattern in SC, CR and RC.

At the end I would like to congratulate and thank all the test takers, beat the GMAT community and my Mentors at Experts for such an awesome work and encouragement to all the GMATters. I am mostly inclined towards applying to Canada, will share once I get into my dream school.

Best of Luck,

Rahul

by Ajit Sharma » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:10 am
Great Job Rahul! I too had given my GMAT this year, but managed somewhere around 600. Will I get decent colleges with this score?

by 12Rahul » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:10 am
Ajit Sharma wrote:Great Job Rahul! I too had given my GMAT this year, but managed somewhere around 600. Will I get decent colleges with this score?
Hi Ajit,

Congrats on your score! As per my knowledge there are different Tier schools based on each individuals requirements and profile. It totally depends on which colleges you are planning to apply.If you are planning to apply in some top-ranked schools you would need a higher score to fight the stiff competition and get selected. Again it totally depends on your profile as well. If you have some great work-ex and extra curricular activities a 600 score might not hamper your apps at all!

All the best and do let me know if you need any further help.

by prakhargupta » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:00 pm
Hi Rahul,
Congrats on your score!!
I am also planning to take up Experts Global and wanted some insights from your on their classroom course. How was your experience with their study material? Also since I have problems in verbal, wanted to know more about their verbal material.
Did you need to study any other material than Experts Global's?

Thanks in advance..
Prakhar