Advice Needed: Rebounding from a Low GMAT Score…

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Team,

In early 2012, I decided to dedicate the first five months of the year to GMAT preparation. I spent the first couple of weeks researching the exam, developing a study plan, and identifying resources and tools that would allow me to achieve my target GMAT score (700). I was ready to knock the GMAT out of the park....or so I thought.

At first, I reviewed the Official Guide, but it didn't thoroughly explain how to solve each question type. In the quant section, I would practice 10 problems at a time and review the explanations for the problems I missed...but some of the explanations weren't really all that helpful.

To supplement my existing efforts, I enrolled in the Kaplan GMAT Prep Course (Classroom). I worked diligently on the homework and was always ready for class, but the classes felt more like a "high level" overview, rather than the deep dive I was expecting. I spent roughly 3 hours per day on weekdays and 6-8 hours on weekends reviewing the online workshops, question banks, and CAT exams. Unfortunately, I still wasn't scoring in the 700 range. (I was hovering in the 620-660 range on the CAT exams) The test taking strategies were helpful, but the foundational content necessary to solve each question type was noticeably absent (in my opinion).

I thought maybe it was just the instructor, so I re-enrolled in the Kaplan course, with a different instructor, to ensure that I exhausted every opportunity to improve my performance. After enrolling in the class for the second time, my scores on the CAT exams were unchanged. I kept hearing that the Kaplan CAT exams were more difficult than the actual GMAT. Since I was scoring in the 620-660 range on the CAT exams, I thought I was in a position to do well on the actual GMAT come test day....but I was wrong.

I took the GMAT on August 6th and scored an abysmal 530 (Q: 35 / V: 27). I was shocked, disappointed, and unbelievably discouraged. I worked diligently (or so I thought) for 5-6 months and wasn't even close to my goal of 700. After my first GMAT experience, I decided to take some time away from the GMAT to focus on work and to clear my mind.

After a great deal of reflection, I decided that I wanted to refocus my efforts on achieving my target GMAT score (700). However, I'm trying to be more intentional and thoughtful with my preparation, but I'm not sure where to begin. Here are the resources I have to date:

 1.) The Official Guide (13th Edition)
 2.) The Official Guide Verbal Review (2nd Edition)
 3.) The Official Guide Quant Review (2nd Edition)
 4.) GMAT Premier (Kaplan Course Book)
 5.) Princeton Review: "Cracking the New GMAT" (2013)

I used one of the Princeton Review practice exams for my "diagnostic exam." (520, Q: 30, V: 32)

I'm a first time poster, long time reader. Any advice or insight at all would be more than appreciated! I have the work ethic and determination to make this goal a reality, I just need some guidance. :) �

Kind regards,
Mike

by getsunnyy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:00 am
Hi Frazermr,

I can totally empathize with your situation. I've been in a situation where I was doing well in the beginning and getting scores of mid-600 to 700 in mock CATs. But then I saw consistently declining scores as the exam date came close. I had to reschedule eventually, and am now preparing again.

My Advice to you would be to get hold of the Manhattan GMAT books. They're simply awesome for getting familiar with the content tested on GMAT, and all the related tips and tricks. By following the books, and the method of going through a chapters and then solving related questions from OG13 would help you clear solidify your concepts.

If you're having issues sticking to a schedule, you should definitely check out the 60-day study plan by Brent on this forum. I'm following that now, and it is simply amazing.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:08 pm
Hi Mike,

For this next go at preparing for the GMAT, how much time have you set aside? Even though you have some experience with the material already, something didn't "click" the first time, so some nit-picking of your process is probably warranted. Also, what's your timeline for applying to school?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by frazermr » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:05 pm
Thanks for the replies! I really do appreciate it!

Rich,

My goal is take the GMAT sometime in late April, early May. I didn't want to commit to a date until I'm consistently scoring in the 700 range on practice exams. From a time allocation perspective, I've committed to 2-3 hours during weekdays and 6-8 during the weekends for GMAT preparation.

As it relates to grad school timing, I'm targeting fall of 2016. I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Mike

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:18 am
Hi Mike,

Your timeline is really good; it gives you some "wiggle room" depending on how quickly you absorb all the material. You should post back here with your next CAT score; those numbers will provide some important information about your current skill level and what you should focus on.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by deepsea13 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:36 pm
Hi Mike,

Can relate to your situation. We're on the same boat! Someone mentioned the Manhattan Guide books which are amazing, if you read them thoroughly. I'd also like to suggest that you watch 'Thursdays With Ron'. I didn't refer to these last time around and only started very recently and they have helped in enhancing my understanding of SC concepts (which was by far my weakest area).

by joshua1gh » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 pm
Hello Mike,

I relate to your situation as well.

I started my preparation for the GMAT in November 2013. I basically used two study materials - GMAT PILL and OG13. After 3 months of studying I took the following PREP tests: GMATPREP 660 (Q44, V37 FEB 1st) and 680 (Q48 V35 February 5), MGMAT PREP TEST 660 (Q44 V36 February 2nd), GMATPILL 660. A day before my exam day, I took a free VERITAS PREP test and scored 710 (Q48, V40 February 6th). I thought I was within the 700 range only to score 610 (Q46, V28) on the real test on 7th Feb 2014. Like you, I was very disappointed and still trying to get over it. I intend taking the test again in two or three months. I also spend 3 hours on weekdays (2am to 5am) and 6 hours on weekends studying. My weakness now I believe is in the CR AND RC sections. I don't have a clear cut strategy for these sections. Still searching for helpful materials on these sections. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Josh

by DDenver » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:43 am
Mike -

It is not uncommon for folks studying for the test to get fixated on the "fundamentals". That is, worrying too much about memorizing formulas and grammar rules. The GMAT is really a test about HOW you apply your knowledge as opposed to testing you about WHAT you know. For example, you likely understand the concept of arithmetic mean very well but the testmakers will ask you a question testing this concept in an awkward or unfamiliar way - such as - "What percent is the average of 12, 23, x and 39 to the sum of the four numbers?" Yes, this tests the fundamental of arithmetic mean, but it also tests how you can use that knowledge to solve the puzzle they have presented. Many test takers will select the answer choice "Cannot be determined" thinking, incorrectly that since you cannot determine what the actual average and sum are, this value is not able to be calculated. However, by truly understanding the concept of arithmetic mean (and that the avg = sum of the items divided by the # of items), you could correctly conclude that the answer is 25% (the avg = sum/4).

So, my advice is to look at each question as a puzzle and leverage the information in the question with the fundamental knowledge you have, to see what connections, relationships etc you can make to lead you to the answer. If you think of the fundamentals as tools in your tool box, just being familiar with the tools gets you part of the way to building your project. Know how to use the tools is the other part. This equates to the strategy. Hope this helps.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jarvis » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:09 pm
Congratulations, for deciding to fight back and take on the GMAT again. Good luck with your preparations.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:350

by MrCleantek » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:09 am
Mike,
Dont give up. Just read this guys posts. I call him 'Guru Chris'.
I am telling you, do not start your preparation without reading these and do not stop your preparation before reading these every once in a week. Guru Chris, jai ho.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/inde ... nprep-com/
Do what your heart says......