spending a lot of time

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

spending a lot of time

by mcadorette » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:54 pm
I completed my first cat Saturday scoring a 470. Quant 31 and verbal 25. Now I am trying to do the diagnostic questions in gmat review book but I am taking forever to answer questions. Is that alright. I am also watching gmat prep now videos to start. I will post more later but just wondering if its alright if I feel like I know nothing in the diagnostic sections.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 am
Hi mcadorette,

Speed/pacing is an issue that tends to improve over time. In the early going, you should focus on accuracy and tactics. Just about every Test Taker has pacing problems early on, so you shouldn't worry too much about that right now. You'll develop a "sense memory" for questions that will allow you to work faster as you continue to practice.

What is your goal score? And what schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mcadorette » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:12 am
I am going to apply to West Virginia University Business School and my goal score is 700. I know I have a way to go but you have to start somewhere. I am thinking about signing up for your empowerment course and I plan on taking the GMAT in the middle of June.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:15 pm
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT TIME NOW.

You should be concentrating on doing things the right way. People that focus on timing too early can be like the person who improves their tennis swing but plays a match too soon and just reverts back to whatever they were doing.

In order to beat a tough opponent you need the new better techniques and you must give them time to develop.

Speed should develop based on seeing the problem more clearly and not because you are "rushing."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:43 pm
Hi mcadorette,

A June Test Date gives you plenty of time to study and improve, so you've made a smart choice already. Continue making smart choices and you'll absolutely improve. For now, focus on the "mechanics" of answering questions: strategy, taking good notes, doing work on the pad (and not in your head). You'll find it useful to periodically go back and review earlier concepts (and redoing old questions, especially from prior practice CATs) so that you can gauge your progress. Your speed will likely improve too.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]