optimum mock GMAT score

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

optimum mock GMAT score

by Praveen Gupta » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:49 am
Hello!

I started preparing for GMAT a month back. I have been taking few GMAT full length practice test for the past one month. Can anyone please tell me at what mock test score (without AWA score)it is suggested to take the GMAT test?

The reason I have posted this question is, each time I take the exam it puts me in dilemma whether to take the real GMAT or not.

Please advice. I have to take my test by Feb end.

Thank you.
Regards,
Praveen Gupta

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:01 pm
Hi Praveen Gupta,

The practice GMAT tests provide you with a reasonably accurate measure of your ability at that point in time. If your scores are consistent, then you are more likely to score in that "range" on the Official GMAT than if your scores are inconsistent (which likely means that you need more practice to score at a consistent level).

You can schedule the GMAT for almost any day of the year, so you can ultimately choose when you want to take the Official GMAT. If you're facing a dilemma about scheduling the Test, then perhaps you're not ready to take it yet.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Praveen Gupta » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 am
Thanks Rich!

I would be grateful if you can answer my foll question.

What consistent score should I consider as a bench mark for the official GMAT (Since mock test does not give AWA score, I am in great confusion about taking the official GMAT.)

To explain my question, let me quote a example: I am targeting 700 score in official GMAT. I took a Manhattan free mock GMAT test & scored 540. If I am not wrong, AWA score is not included in this score. If I tell you that I am quite good in analytical writing, do I have a chance of striking my target score of 700, taking 540 as my mock score into consideration.

Thank you.
Regards,
Praveen.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:36 am
Hi Praveen,

The AWA score is a separate score (from 0-6) and so is IR (1-8); neither score has any effect on your score out of 800. That score is based on your Scaled Scores from the Quant and Verbal sections only.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:42 am
Hello, Praveen. It is great that you are preparing for the GMAT exam, including taking plenty of practice exams. To answer your question, you should take the exam when you feel comfortable with your scoring in the practice exam. The GMAT practice exams available in GMATPrep use the same scoring algorithm as the actual GMAT exam, so it should give you a good idea of what to expect on exam day. As Rich noted, the AWA and IR scores are not counted in the total score, although all of these scores are used by MBA admissions programs when reviewing your GMAT score report.

If you have specific questions about preparing for the exam, I suggest you also ask these questions in one of the main forum threads. This thread is to ask questions to GMAC, the makers of the GMAT exam.

Good luck!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by Praveen Gupta » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:23 am
Thank you Rich.

That simply means, I need to prepare very hard to achieve my goal!

Regards,
Praveen

[email protected] wrote:Hi Praveen,

The AWA score is a separate score (from 0-6) and so is IR (1-8); neither score has any effect on your score out of 800. That score is based on your Scaled Scores from the Quant and Verbal sections only.

Rich

by Praveen Gupta » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:25 am
Thank you Rebecca.

Your suggestion is noted.

Regards,
Praveen

OfficialGMAT wrote:Hello, Praveen. It is great that you are preparing for the GMAT exam, including taking plenty of practice exams. To answer your question, you should take the exam when you feel comfortable with your scoring in the practice exam. The GMAT practice exams available in GMATPrep use the same scoring algorithm as the actual GMAT exam, so it should give you a good idea of what to expect on exam day. As Rich noted, the AWA and IR scores are not counted in the total score, although all of these scores are used by MBA admissions programs when reviewing your GMAT score report.

If you have specific questions about preparing for the exam, I suggest you also ask these questions in one of the main forum threads. This thread is to ask questions to GMAC, the makers of the GMAT exam.

Good luck!