The Journey Begins

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

The Journey Begins

by mcadorette » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:40 pm
I have been on this forum for a while now but have not made a full commitment yet. Well tomorrow I am going to begin this journey. I hope to continuously post my progress and look for advice from experts along the way. In the morning I am going to take my first practice test using GMAT PREP. I am extremely nervous because I honestly can't remember anything from Algebra and Geometry from high school. All I can do is just dive in and begin. I will post my initial score tomorrow. I am really inspired by joshcollins post and I think I am going to take some of his advice. (Although I fear that I will get a much lower initial score then Josh)

The materials I currently have are the Official GMAT Book and KAPLAN PREMIER. I plan on purchasing the Empowerment course (so I hope to hear some advice from Rich). I also plan on buying some MGMAT practice exams as well.

I am planning on studying for about 3 months and plan on dedicating 6-7 days a week on studying. Any advice for a beginner will help and please let me know what I can do after I post my initial score.

Thanks,
Max

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:55 pm
Well, you're definitely in the right place.

The biggest tip I can give as far as prep goes is to be very analytical in your practice. Anyone can do a lot of problems, but it's not enough on its own. You have to spend time breaking down problems and identifying what you did correctly/incorrectly. Over time, you'll notice the areas that are consistently giving you trouble as well as the common wording tricks and traps the GMAT uses. Even when you get a problem correct, it's worth reviewing to see if there were better ways to get to the right answer.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

by mcadorette » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:48 am
Bill,

Thanks for that advice. I will take that into account throughout my preparation. I will be important for me to break everything down because this is all going to be foreign to me. I appreciate you responding to my post. Again I am about to take that first practice exam and I will post upon completion.

Max

by mcadorette » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:05 am
Well I just finished my initial assessment and got a 470. Honestly I am not too upset with that because I figured I would be somewhere in that ballpark.

Quantitative - 31
Verbal - 25
IR - 5

I looked back at a couple and saw that I was struggling with DS questions and need refreshers on algebra and geometry.

I didnt get a chance to look at mistakes I made on the Verbal Section and thought I could go back and look but I guess you cant.

I hope people can tell me where I go now and I will be back on later tonight to get a little start.

Thanks,
Max