GMAT Focus Is it worth it??

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members

GMAT Focus Is it worth it??

by Nadia222 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 pm
Hey,

I wanted to see if there are any other BTG members who have used GMAT Focus? I am thinking about purchasing this tool to get an accurate estimate on my quant score and to see where my true weaknesses are before I start to next prep course.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:28 pm
Beware there is some overlap between GMAT Focus on other products. Have you already purchased the GMAT Prep Pack 1? That is many more questions and a better value. Even though it does not give the diagnosis that quant focus is meant to.

I personally think that taken a full Quant section of a good prep test like the Veritas FREE CAT Test is perhaps more worthwhile. The Veritas test gives you lots of tools like "Easiest 3 questions missed" and "time allocation on last 10 questions."

If you do want to buy GMAT Focus you should post a question directly in the "ask the testmaker" forum and ask exactly what materials overlap questions with Quant Focus. If you have already used those materials it would not be worth it because even a few questions that you have seen before would throw off the diagnosis.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:47 pm
I have had a few students who used GMAT Focus before starting with me, and overall they were happy with the purchase. I do think David is right in that the free test will give you more feedback to analyze, so I would start there as well.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:13 am
GMATFocus has a few weaknesses, which (in my opinion) make it less useful than, say, GMATPrep Pack 1.

First, it has only 24 questions, and a regular quant section has 37 questions. With only 24 question, GMATFocus does not test time management to the same degree that other practice tests do.

Second, GMATFocus outputs a wide score range (e.g., 37 to 45). So, it's hard to tell if you've made any improvement.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by Nadia222 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:26 am
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I have decided to pass on the GMAT Focus and to purchase the additional CATs and practice problems.