GMAT Prep -Holstein Cows

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:5 members

GMAT Prep -Holstein Cows

by 2010Chick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each year.

A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

B) providing them with high-energy feed,and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

C) provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

D) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:770

by dimochka » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:19 pm
First I'd like to say that this question is not a very nice one. Regardless, let's go through this.

A. One of the biggest problems with this choice is that if we are using an "ing" verb, these will be actions performed by the farmer as a result of keeping them cool or in order to keep them cool. While grammatically this works, I don't see how "providing [cows] with high-energy feed" and "milking [cows] regularly" would keep them cool. Also, the "are producing" portion is awkward; "produce" would be correct.
B. "The Holstein cow" is incorrect; needs to be plural to refer back to "them".
C. Parallelism - "provided" vs "milking"; keep verbs in the same tense/form.
D. "The Holstein cow" is incorrect; needs to be plural to refer back to "them".
E. Correct. For the farmer who takes care to keep [the cows] (a) cool, (b) provided with high-energy feed, and (c) milked regularly, Holstein cows will [subsequently] produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each year.

[spoiler]Answer: E[/spoiler]
Please feel free to private message me with any questions; I don't check the forums regularly, whereas PMs go straight to my email.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 pm
Hi 2010Chick,

This SC is built around a few common grammar rules:

1) Pronouns: the pronoun "them" requires that we have the plural subject "cows." Eliminate B and D.

2) Parallelism: the "list" of items must be in the same "format"; since the first item uses the word "keep", we need two other verbs that match that format. Eliminate A and C.

Final Answer: E

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by 2010Chick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm
Thank you both. I guess I was in such a rush when I initially answered the question and reviewed incorrect answers from that practice round that I somehow overlooked the plural pronoun in the early part of the sentence :(

...great reminder to be more careful moving forward