GMAT Prep-Stone Age People

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:5 members

GMAT Prep-Stone Age People

by 2010Chick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:17 pm
The image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

A) merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

B) as merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include

C) as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes

D) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes

E) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:15 pm
The image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

A) merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

Image is the subject, so verb should be has(singular)
B) as merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include

Image is the subject, so verb should be has(singular)
C) as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes
THAT goes to germany, use of as is wrong

D) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes
WHICH goes to germany

E) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

IMO E

by 2010Chick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:20 pm
Many thanks for replying so quickly. Can you tease out more about why "which" refers to Germany in answer choice D?

That was the one that tripped me up as A-C are very silly.

Thanks again!

Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:26 pm
Whenever which is used after comma, then which always refer to nearest eligible noun before comma...

or you can say there should not be any verb between which and the noun it modifies...

SO in this sentence, "Germany" is the nearest noun to which.

eg The Car, which is of red color is parked outside my house.
Now what is of red color...Ans "CAR", so here which is going to CAR(nearest eligible noun)

by 2010Chick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:43 pm
Got it. Many thanks!

Followed by:4 members

by [email protected] » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 am
The answer has to be "C".
Reasons: X rather than Y .Here X and Y have to be parallel.
eliminate A and C as these options use have.
Among C,D and E only "c" keeps the parallelism.
option E has one more problem, "including" at the end seems to refer the entire clause in front of it, which is wrong.
Regards,
mukherjee

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:49 am
[email protected] wrote: option E has one more problem, "including" at the end seems to refer the entire clause in front of it, which is wrong.
Regards,
mukherjee
E: The image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears.
A COMMA + VERBIng modifier typically serves to modify the entire preceding clause.
Consider a COMMA + including modifier an exception to this rule.
Many dictionaries define including as a PREPOSITION.
Generally, a COMMA + including modifier serves to introduce EXAMPLES of the nearest preceding noun or noun phrase.
Here, the COMMA + including modifier introduces examples of the TOOLS found in Germany: the THREE WOODEN SPEARS.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3