She was less successful after she had emigrated to new york

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Please help to answer following questions
She was less successful after she had emigrated to new york compared to he native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group discerning admirers, and her photographers were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.
1.She was less successful after she had emigrated to new york compared
2.Being less successful after she has emigrated to new york as compared to
3.Less successful after she emigrated to new york then she had been in
4.Although she was less successful after emigrating to new york as compared to
5.She had been less successful after emigrating to new york than in

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:18 am
The key is to compare "like" concepts. The right sentence must compare how successful Jacobi was in New York to how successful she had been in Germany. It's incorrect to write "she was less successful in New York compared to Germany" because this would be comparing a clause/action "how successful she was in NY" to a noun/thing "Germany". Only answer C makes the right comparison by contrasting action/clause vs action/clause.

The full solution below is taken from the GMATFix App.

-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by AsadAbu » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:30 pm
kaudes11114 wrote:Please help to answer following questions
She was less successful after she had emigrated to new york compared to he native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group discerning admirers, and her photographers were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.
1.She was less successful after she had emigrated to new york compared
2.Being less successful after she has emigrated to new york as compared to
3.Less successful after she emigrated to new york than she had been in
4.Although she was less successful after emigrating to new york as compared to
5.She had been less successful after emigrating to new york than in
Hi Expert,
I need to have an exact solution of THIS problem. If the correct answer is C, then the complete sentence will be:
Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in to he native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group discerning admirers, and her photographers were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.
Here, the BOLD is a tag. it works like "not only X...........but also Y" or "either X.............or Y"
I should not write:
He is not only a student but also he is going to USA for his higher education.----->doesn't make any sense.
also, i should not say:
The person is either Stanford student or he is going to ask a question in the forum.------->doesn't make any sense, too.

if we write this correct sentence like below, then it'll be run-on sentence.

She was less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in to he native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group discerning admirers, and her photographers were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.

So for that reason, GMAC technically withdraw red part from the here (may be there is a specific rules to withdraw the subject)
Anyway, in the correct sentence there is a tag (e.g., less XXX........than YYY), THIS tags must show similar ideas like NOT only X.......BUT also Y, right?
But, in the correct option C, there is NO consistency in this TAG, this tags works like my wrong sentences! looks like below:
less SUCCESSFUL (adjective) than COMPLETE SENTENCE
Thank you all...