QUANT REVIEW 112

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

QUANT REVIEW 112

by EMAN » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:06 pm
For me, this was tough to solve under two minutes. The explanation in the OG is a bunch convoluted algebraic garbage that's over my head. Hopefully someone can dumb it down for me.

For a certain set of n numbers, where n>1, is the average (arithmetic mean) equal to the median?

(1) If no numbers in the set are listed in increasing order, then the difference between any pair of successive numbers in the set is 2.

(2) The range of the n numbers in the set is 2(n-1)

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:21 pm
It must A i guess

n = no. of elements in a set
is Mean=Median?

1. If the difference b/w any pair of successive numbers is 2, then Mean must be equal to Median.

In fact, There is a very important point to note here. It is true for any set which has equally spaced elements(Whatever the difference is) ==> Mean will be equal to Median.

Let's try it out.
Set = {1,2,3,4}, Mean = (1+2+3+4)/4 = 2.5 = Median = (2+3)/2 [Difference of any successive element is 1]
Set = {1,3,5,7}, Mean = (1+3+5+7)/4 = 4 = Median = (3+5)/2 [Difference of any successive element is 2]
Set = {1,4,7,10,13}, Mean = (1+4+7+10+13)/5 = 7 = Median = 7 [Difference of any successive element is 3]

So, it's clearly sufficient.

2. Range of the n numbers = 2(n-1)

Set = {1,2,7}, n=3, Range = 7-1 = 6 [Mean is NOT equal to Median. NO]
Set = {2,4,6,8}, n=3, Range = 8-2 = 6 [Mean is equal to Median. YES]

Insufficient.

You get 2 answers

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by frankodern » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:38 pm
Papgust,

can you please explain the "2(n-1)"? The reason I am asking is because in both your examples, you have used n=3 but there are 3 numbers in the first and 4 in the second.

Thanks,

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:35 am
EMAN wrote:For me, this was tough to solve under two minutes. The explanation in the OG is a bunch convoluted algebraic garbage that's over my head. Hopefully someone can dumb it down for me.

For a certain set of n numbers, where n>1, is the average (arithmetic mean) equal to the median?

(1) If no numbers in the set are listed in increasing order, then the difference between any pair of successive numbers in the set is 2.

(2) The range of the n numbers in the set is 2(n-1)
Statement 1:
When a set of numbers is EVENLY SPACED, the average = the median.
SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
If n=3 -- implying a set of 3 numbers -- then the range = 2(3-1) = 4.

Test one case that also satisfies statement 1, which requires a distance of 2 between successive numbers:
{1, 3, 5}
Here, because the numbers are EVENLY SPACED, the average = the median.

Test one case that DOESN'T satisfy statement 1:
[1, 1, 5]
Here, the average = (1+1+5)/3 = 7/3, while the median = 1.

Since the average is equal to the median in the first case but not in the second case, INSUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:58 am
In an arithmetic sequence (a sequence of numbers that are evenly spaced), average is always equal to median. The solution below is taken from the GMATFix App.

-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by frankodern » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:12 pm
Patrick,

Thank you very much for posting the video, however, in my opinion, I would recommend using numerical examples when explaining the Arithmetic sequence.

Thank you very much.
Patrick_GMATFix wrote:In an arithmetic sequence (a sequence of numbers that are evenly spaced), average is always equal to median. The solution below is taken from the GMATFix App.

-Patrick

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:08 am
Thanks for the tip. I thought that using numbers to explain would just show an example rather than explain the logic behind the property I explain in the video, but maybe you're right.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you found the video helpful.

-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.