I forgot to double-space my essays. Do I follow up?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
WTF was I thinking. Do I email the school and apologize? Moron. Any suggestions welcome.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:30 am
Hmm... did you blow through the suggested essay length because it was single spaced? I think this should be managed delicately. Was this just at one school? At every school?

Tell me more about the situation here.

THanks.

-BRian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:38 am
As Brian mentioned, a little more info would be helpful, but honestly, if your only folly was that you have it single spaced versus double, it's really not a big deal and definitely not worth calling the school and going through an arduous process (for you and them) to send in new essays. Not to mention, it calls undue attention to it. I guarantee you that you're not the only applicant to have done this. This year, or in any other year. It happens all the time. It makes it easier for them to read and while they might make a mental note of it, the impact on your chances can't even be calculated because they're so small. You won't be dinged because your essays are single spaced, nor will you be admitted because you followed the instructions down to the last letter.

But if there's more to this - let us know and we'll help!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:14 pm
I agree with Bhavik here -- can you share any more specifics with the group/readers? Look, we're all human beings, and there's always going to be 'something' that you wish you could do differently/better. The real question that you need to ask yourself is whether it is a "HUGE" mistake ... or just something you wish you had done differently.

Trust me -- admissions committees know that their candidates are human, and luckily, haven't turned over admissions decisions to robots......... yet :-)

Best of luck!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jillgmat » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:20 pm
Thanks for the responses!

I only did this with one school, and sadly also had the word counts wrong (was for tuck and for some unknown reason thought all 3 essays were supposed to be 600 instead of 500 words - all came in under 600 but still, no one wants to read an extra 70 words there times!). It was the first school I applied to and I just dropped the ball on reading directions. I realized this 10 minutes after submitting and made sure the rest of my apps at other schools were flawless. I guess a good lesson to learn on the first app but bummed because I really love Tuck and don't want them to think I was careless because I don't care about my candidacy.

They sent out an email confirming that my app was complete about a week later, and I replied with a thank you and a quick apology for not reading directions.

Just such rookie mistakes. Dumb.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Psid » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:36 pm
Jillgmat, how did this turn out ?? I am on the same boat with Goizueta !

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:30 pm
Just popping out this thread one more time -- it seems like an innocent mistake... and honestly, I'm not sure it's even one that would have been noticed/flagged by the majority of admissions officers -- unless they are running the essays through a word counter.

JillGMAT -- Any updates for all us curious GMAT watchers?

Best,

Brian

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:00 am
Let us know.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.