Debrief 720 GMAT I have surprised myself :) !

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Gave my GMAT today (first attempt).
Never thought I would be in a position to actually write this but here goes...
Ironically, yesterday I was googling "never scored above 650 GMAT in a day" to find some consolation that I will still do OK but couldn't find it :)).
My CAT scores are -
1. MGMAT - 550
2. MGMAT - 530 (this one I gave after I came back from work at 8:00pm..so don't count it against me :) )
3. GMAT Prep 600
4. MGMAT - 640 (after 2 weeks of rigorous Quant practice)
5. GMAT Prep 610 (4 days before the exam)
Didn't give any more CATs.

Most of what needs to be said is already said by many many folks already..hence I will just mention what I didn't read anywhere but learnt along the way...
1. MGMAT Quant strategy and GMAT Prep/real exam strategy should be different -
Manhattan is much tougher than the real thing. Don't get me wrong...I only used Manhattan other than the OG and it is an excellent source for learning but here is what happened to me. Manhattan tends to throw far more 700-800 level questions in the CAT and as a result even if you just manage to complete the text with several wrong you end up with a big score.
GMAT prep on the other hand gives you a much better mix of 700-800, 600-700 and 500-600. I applied the same strategy I used on the Manhattan CAT on the GMAT prep CAT and ended up with an extra 3 minutes on QUANT but ended up making a lot of silly mistakes since I didn't bother to check my answer before I hit Next. Moral of the story - these two tests - MGMAT CAT and GMAT Prep need two different strategies. So as you come close to your date use the GMAT Prep more as your performance yardstick. (I found MGMAT tough to the point that on the GMAT prep I use to doubt myself even if I solved that question correct...I kept asking myself .."how can it be so easy..there is definitely something I missed".
2. Sentence correction was my biggest weak point and the way I improved it was a "brute force" strategy. I just sat and solved around 100 questions back-to-back. For each one I wrote not only the answer I thought was right but also classification such as "S-V, Pronoun, Verb, Comparison etc" (Chapter topics from Manhattan). This helped me align my thought process.
3. There are these "humps" that come around near the end of each section. What I mean by hump is that around the 7th or the 8th IR question you will get a big three tab question or around the 36th question in verbal you will get a big RC. Now IMHO!! (just my personal thought) it is safer to skip (i.e hit next) those and attempt the one after them if you are running short of time. I read somewhere that the GMAC algorithm is much forgiving if you spread out you incorrect answers rather than have it all at once say maybe at the very end.
4. Study with a partner - I studied with a partner and that really helped me. Many a times your study buddy can show you faster ways of doing things or maybe help you align your thinking about a particular topic.
5. This I read somewhere else and I firmly believe in as well - Enjoy reading the passages. I like NPR (national public radio) and RC's seem to be text version of it for me. In general, take interest in the passage itself and you will find the answer then come naturally to you.
6. Lastly - Quality versus Quantity practice - I would suggest revising a fixed number of books over and over again rather than trying to solve all the books under the sun. I only did the OG and MGMAT 1-5, and MGMAT SC, IR and Essay. Critical reasoning kind came naturally to me so didn't bother reading the power score book that I bought.
Quite honestly, even though I used to find the GMAT material fairly straightforward I had never imagined ("had" - past of past :) ) crossing 720.
Special thanks to folks at Manhattan. Awesome work with the books.

thanks,
V

by likee » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:53 am
thanks for sharing.

by swap-2 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:28 am
Thanks for reply

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 pm
Great score, vishal1981.
Great debrief as well.
I really enjoyed the following advice:
vishal1981 wrote: 5. This I read somewhere else and I firmly believe in as well - Enjoy reading the passages. I like NPR (national public radio) and RC's seem to be text version of it for me. In general, take interest in the passage itself and you will find the answer then come naturally to you.
It's easy to "zone out" during the Verbal section, so if one can feign interest (e.g., "Excellent! This passage is about protozoa!! I can't think of anything more exciting!!!!"), the better the results.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by josh_nsit » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:04 am
Hi Vishal
Congrats for your score.
I am reappearing for GMAT and just gave my first GMAT Prep with a score of 660. Really depressed as I wanted to appear for GMAT in coming month.

You said that you got 600 in first GMAT Prep. How far away was that from your exam day?
When did you appear for it? And what did you really study in between 2 GMAT CATs and actual GMAT?

Thanks

Followed by:1 members

by vishal1981 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:10 pm
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
Hope this reply to you Josh is not too late.
The first GMAT prep and the real exam were around 15 days apart from what I remember.
Between the 2 GMAT CATs I just decided to revise all that I had studied earlier and intentionally made it a point to not go through any new unseen stuff. I realized I had just stacked up a lot of information on my head and a revision helped me sort that information out.
So I would say quality versus quantity. There is so much material out there that it is tempting to just go around attempting everything you can get your hands on. But I feel its more important to rather find your own weak points and work on those first.
-v-

by Gator1214 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 am
Wow. Thanks for sharing!

by josh_nsit » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:36 pm
vishal1981 wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
Hope this reply to you Josh is not too late.
The first GMAT prep and the real exam were around 15 days apart from what I remember.
Between the 2 GMAT CATs I just decided to revise all that I had studied earlier and intentionally made it a point to not go through any new unseen stuff. I realized I had just stacked up a lot of information on my head and a revision helped me sort that information out.
So I would say quality versus quantity. There is so much material out there that it is tempting to just go around attempting everything you can get your hands on. But I feel its more important to rather find your own weak points and work on those first.
-v-
Thanks for responding.. Can you please share your splits for actual GMAT, GMATPrep1 and GMATPrep2? Need to assess where I stand... Thanks again