Admissions Questions and Profile Evaluation Request

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have certain concerns regarding my applications to the B-Schools. I would really appreciate if someone could answer my questions.

My Profile:

GMAT Score:
Total Score: 710 (92%)
Maths: 50 (94%)
Verbal: 35 (74%)

Work experience:
I have 3 years of work experience in the corporate finance industry. I am currently working as a Senior Business Analyst with a start-up Corporate finance advisory firm. Being a part of stat-up firm I work in various other capacities as well including business development, talent management, Training new recruits etc.

Education:

10th Standard: 80%

12th standard: Commerce Stream with aggregate of 87.6% and was among the top 10 students in the class.

Bachelor's Degree: B.A.(honors) - Economics one of the top 5 colleges in the Delhi University, India
Under Grad. Score: 49.75% (Even with my best efforts i did not score well in under graduation and these numbers do not reflect my true capabilities.)

Extracurricular: I have been a part of some extracurricular activities at school level. I was a part of Rotary Club and organized some events at school.

Questions:
1.How much do the following things affect Application:
a.My low graduation scores and what can do to counter this in my application?
b. Un balanced GMAT Scores

2.I plan to apply to top B-Schools; I wanted to know how competitive my profile would be?

3.Any suggestions about which schools to apply to?

Thanks in advance

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:11 am
1. I am not sure I understand your graduation score. I think the fact that you graduated with honors in Economics shows your ability. You should use the optional essay portion of the application to discuss your score if it concerns you.

Your GMAT score is great. You should use your application essays as a platform to showcase your writing abilities. This will address any concerns regarding your verbal score.

2. This year is particularly competitive for MBA applicants. You are fairly competitive however you will need to differentiate yourself from other applicants by highlighting your full range of business experience, discussing community involvement/extracurriculars, and discussing any unique characteristics you can bring to an MBA class.

3. You should look at the top 25 programs. Your choice really depends upon your post graduation goals and learning preferences. Some schools are better in certain areas ie. finance, general business, etc so your choice depends upon what you plan to do with your degree.

Best of luck!
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nidhisingh1984 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:11 pm
Thanks a ton!!! this was really helpful...