recommendation letter questions-company's title

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm planning to let my previous boss to recommend me for the business school. But he has left the company a couple of years ago, and now working in another multinational company. My question is, his title and the logo on the recommendation letter, we should use the logo of the previous company, which both of us worked for, or the logo of his new company? I'm not sure how many of you may encountered the same issue, but it happened for people like me who had been working for many years and jumping ship is not uncommon in my filed..

Any idea??

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by yigaloran » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 am
How can you get a recommendation letter from your previous boss on stationery where he is no longer working? Don't even think about lying on your application. And what's wrong with getting him to write you a letter of recommendation from his current company? You should have a recommendation from your current place of employment but it's not the law.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:41 am
Hey there,

Hopefully you have a more recent recommendation in addition to your previous boss. However, to your question specifically, most schools only accept electronic recommendations anyway. In the event they require paper copies, have it from his current employer. It would be very strange for it to come from the previous company. All s/he has to do is, in the "How do you know the applicant", detail their relationship with you.

In cases like this, the simple answer is almost always the right answer. It would raise so many questions if you start sending recs on letterhead where they person clearly doesn't work.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!