570 (1st actual GMAT attempt) to 710

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

570 (1st actual GMAT attempt) to 710

by sandmandreams » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:16 am
This is going to be a lengthy post, so please bear with me. I just want to be able to share my experience in the hopes that it can help anyone who's in the same boat as I was in.

I have to say that it's such a relief to be finally over with the GMAT. It's been a difficult 2 on-off years with the GMAT, but I've finally beaten it. And I just had to share it with everyone, considering all the help I've gotten from the experts and good Samaritans here.

First attempt (V 28, Q 40 = Overall 570)

During my review, I focused on the quant section since I did quite well on the verbal part of the diagnostic test on the OG. I haven't had a math course in almost 6 years prior to that. I think my unofficial average for all the Math classes I took back then would be a C- at most. I took a GMAT Prep course with a small and relatively cheap review company in the country I am working in. While it helped, we went through the classes too fast and focused too much on the hard questions rather than working on the fundamentals. After the course, I was scoring between 640-700 (700 was on my first attempt at the GMAT Prep software) on the GMAT Prep, but I had a lot of problem with some basic DS questions wherein I was doing too much (lucky) guesswork.

I discovered this forum and other GMAT forums, along with the MGMAT Strat Guide, on the back end of my review. It was little too late and I felt unprepared going into the exam as I had to rush through so many new materials.

Test Day:

As this was my first time taking the test, I also had a bad case of nerves. It was also a BAD idea to try and gauge the level of question that was in front of me. It was a waste of time and it got into my head.

As I was going through the Quantitative section, I discovered I prepared too much for the hard questions and ended up either spending too much time or guessing on easier questions (including questions as simple as percentages). My heart fell every time I saw and easy question and I finished the Quantitative section feeling I had to retake the GMAT.

When I started the Verbal section, my mind was already elsewhere. I spent a full two minutes at one point just staring on the screen and ended up just clicking on answers just to get it over with. I ended up with a 48 percentile score. (I usually had 75 percentile on the GMAT Prep).

After the test, I got a big promotion at work and decided putting off the GMAT at least for another year.

Second (and LAST!!!) Attempt (48Q, 38V = 710 overall)

I got back on the GMAT horse around May this year but I wasn't fully invested yet. Around August, I found I still wanted that MBA and started fully investing myself again.

I knew my Math fundamentals were in need of sharpening and I got back to basics. The MGMAT Math Strat Guides are a must for anyone looking to improve their fundamentals. The MGMAT SC also helped in ironing out problems I had with SC questions. Browsing through these (and other) forums looking for alternative solutions and more creative ways to attack math problems also helped me better understand the concepts behind the formulas and the problems.

I had a vacation leave with my girlfriend early this month and I thought that would mess with my review, but it actually helped me get back fresher and more focused. I opted to buy the GMAT Prep Exam Packs and seeing a GMAT Prep Exam with new question and doing relatively well on them (660 and 670) helped bring up my confidence.

Test Day:

I went in expecting to score a 660-670 score.

The AWA and IR went smoothly (although I just got a 5 on the IR).

As I went through the Quantitative section, I started getting easy (in my mind) question midway and I found myself trying to gauge the questions again. As I practiced during my second round of review, I just slogged through even as my heart fell with every easy question that popped up on the screen. I finished the Quant section feeling that I got a 60 percentile score at best.

During the break, I gathered and told myself to just do the best I can on the Verbal section. I started confident as I knew I was nailing hard questions on the first 15-20 Qs. After that, I got a difficult RC that I could not fully comprehend and ended up doing some educated guesswork. I started getting easy SC questions afterwards and I was starting to cave in again. I refocused and just the did the best I can on all ensuing questions, no matter how easy some of them looked.

After finishing (and after some annoyance with the ensuing questionnaire), I was expecting to see just a very low 600 score, and when I saw that 710 on screen I had to do a double take as I couldn't believe actually scored above my expectations. I went out smiling like a fool, but I couldn't care less. I wanted to scream with joy as I got out of the building, but I was thankfully able to contain myself. Haha.

ADVICE:

- Don't worry about missing some review time. The time off actually helped me take a different and fresher look at the materials.

- For your math review, I suggest you don't go about it without the MGMAT Strat Guides. It helped me find creative ways to attack problems. To be able to deconstruct the problem and solve it in an easier alternative way went a long way.

- Focus on GMAT Prep Questions for your review. Some of the other reviewers out there are just throwing too much unnecessary stuff at you.

- Buy the GMAT Exam Pack if you want more practice. Nothing compares to the (closest) actual thing.

- Try to avoid gauging the level of question in front of you as much as possible. If it's easy, just get it right and move on.

- Don't let the pressure and doubt get into your head. Ignore it and continue slogging through.

Hope my post helped. Thank you for reading.[/u]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:40 am
Hey sandmandreams,

Congratulations on the 140-point increase.
Great debrief too.

All GMAT preppers should heed your advice. My two favorite pieces of advice are:
sandmandreams wrote: ADVICE:

- Try to avoid gauging the level of question in front of you as much as possible. If it's easy, just get it right and move on.

- Don't let the pressure and doubt get into your head. Ignore it and continue slogging through.
I wanted to bring attention to these particular recommendations because a lot of students fail to recognize that proper mindset can go a long way in achieving a high GMAT score (and achieving other things in life as well)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by sandmandreams » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:27 am
Hi Brent

I got some good advice from you during my 1st attempt as well.

Thank you for that and thanks for congratulating me.

Quick shout-out to Magoosh as well, I got some great stuff from Mike's online articles as well.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dtrox » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm
Hi sandmandreams I scored a 570 too in my first attempt with Q44 V25. I was hitting Q47 and V34 in my practice mocks of GMAT Prep, and when I got easier Q's in quant I felt miserable. Thanks for writing the post and sharing your experience. I hope you find your dream b schools.

Best Regards

by sandmandreams » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:50 pm
Glad my post could be of help. Good luck Dtrox