From 630 to 710 (47Q 41V) in 1 month

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

From 630 to 710 (47Q 41V) in 1 month

by jasondelta » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:52 pm
I've read a lot of posts here, but figured I'd offer my own story to help anyone else in a similar situation!

First Test:
Started off with the MGMAT classroom session in June. It was helpful to have the classes force me to review the subjects and get a feel for the overall test. Unfortunately I didn't spend enough time outside of the course to really set myself up for success. Did only minimal studying aside from the MGMAT class, mostly following their syllabus for study.

Practice Test (MGMAT) 1: 640 (38Q,38V)
Practice Test (MGMAT) 2: 670 (44Q,37V)
Practice Test (MGMAT) 3: 680 (45Q,37V)
ACTUAL GMAT: 630 (44Q,33V) on 3 Sep 2013

Obviously was disappointed by my real GMAT score, which was only a few weeks after the MGMAT course ended. Unfortunately my job and an masters program in engineering I'm working on ended up getting in the way of studying, so I mostly didn't study during the months of Sept and Oct

Second Test:

Realizing that I'd need to re-attack the GMAT in earnest, I tried to figure out a way to really improve my scores. I felt as though I'd exhausted the MGMAT resources (and their curriculum felt stale to me by November). I tried working through the OG on my own, trying to do mini timed tests consisting of 20 questions each from Quant and Verbal, but it was slow and cumbersome having to go through the OG.

Eventually I stumbled on Magoosh and their 50 point Score Guarantee and figured that sounded just about right, since a 680 would be a decent score for me. This turned out to be a great decision. I went through their lessons and picked up some great strategies and also refreshed my knowledge of concepts. I also did a TON of practice problems on Magoosh, which was easier for me to do at work and on travel, since I could do it entirely online. Basically followed their 1-month study schedule (https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/1-month-gm ... -schedule/), although I fell a bit behind during the holidays and didn't quite finish all the practice questions (I didn't get to about 80 or so questions), I still felt very prepared. I tried a GMATPrep Test, which ended up being spot-on with my actual GMAT score (wow, the scoring is the same, who would have thought??), and also tried a Magoosh practice test, which is in beta right now (bases your score on percent correct, rather than an adaptive scoring algorithm).

GMATPrep Test 1: 710
Magoosh Practice Test (beta): 660 (41Q,39V)
Actual GMAT: 710 (47Q,41V) 10 Dec 2013

Overall, very satisfied with my score, since my goal was 700+. It was a long road, but finally made it. Now onto Round 2 apps!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:34 pm
Sounds like an ad for Magoosh.
A good question also deserves a Thanks.

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That's why no-one will remember your name.

Followed by:1 members

by jasondelta » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:16 pm
I used it and it worked for me *shrug*.

Maybe Magoosh won't work for everyone, but isn't the point of this forum to explain our successes? I happened to use Magoosh to try to boost my score, since it was cheap and it had a Score Guarantee, so I figured I had nothing to lose. It ended up working out for me, so obviously I want to share my experience in case anyone else was in a similar situation. Sorry if my excitement over my score and my success made it sound like an advertisement.

by soumavadutta » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:04 pm
Congrats on your Score.. I am starting with my preparation and have the same resources.. MGMAT full set and Magoosh :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vikramjain » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:04 pm
Hey Jason,

I see that your verbal score jumped from 33 to 41. Did you use Magoosh for verbal practice as well?

I am using Magoosh and thought their Quant was stronger than verbal.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by johnperregaux » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:45 am
I think it is an ad for magoosh as well.

by Moin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:38 am
Congrats fellas, it sounds pretty that you successfully surmounted 700 yardstick. I think Magoosh makes sense for many but a bit unlikely in my case. Anyway, worth trying!

Moin.