Help for Final Week: Score discrepancy w/ GMATPrep + Veritas

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Thanks to all of the experts and users on this forum who have posted stories and advice. Both the stories and the advice have kept me motivated for the past ~9 months.

With one week left before the big day (3rd/final attempt), I'm looking for advice to maximize my verbal score on test-day.

Brief background: I've taken online courses from both MGMAT and Veritas. I found both courses useful. However, my first attempt resulted in a 640 (Q43/V35). My second attempt was even worse (610 - Q44/V30). I lost focus a little bit between my first and second attempts. Looking back I should have delayed my second attempt and put more work in.

Recently, I've seen some progress. Below are my Veritas Prep CATs from the past several weeks:

11/23: 710 (Q47/V41)
11/30: 700 (Q47/V39)
12/7: 710 (Q47/V40) --> Only quant and verbal sections, but taken after a full, re-set GMAT Prep CAT (730; Q48/V42). I was trying to build stamina.

The other CATs were complete tests w/ no additional time, etc.

I took my last GMAT Prep CAT today and scored a 660 (Q49/V32). Obviously I am very happy with my quant score, but extremely disappointed with my verbal score. I tried to focus on verbal the past several weeks utilizing both the Veritas Prep class/material and the CR Bible. I think what hurt me today was that I missed 4 out of the first 10 questions in the verbal section, including 3 in a row (5,6,7). A lot of the questions towards the end of the section seemed relatively easy.

Bottom-line: What can I do to refine my verbal skills and maximize my score when I take the test next Saturday (12/21)?

FYI: I can't delay the test date (I am applying to schools Round 2).

Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:40 pm
I am not sure that you need to refine your verbal skills too much. I just think that you need to FOCUS on the exam the way that you have on most of your practice tests.

The discrepancy here is not in the tests, but in your performance on the test that was a 660. The other tests were in the 700 to 710 and above range and the verbal scores were around 40. The verbal score here is 32 and that is what took you down.

You are correct that missing easy questions (yes especially early) can convince the test to offer you questions at a lower difficulty level. You need to get lots of these right then in order to get back over the hump.

It seems that you had a loss of focus for a few questions and that this hurt you. You could have made it up if you had not missed any questions after that, but no doubt you did miss some and those questions were at a lower level given your early performance.

As for what to do between now and Saturday...I think you should focus on "bomb-proofing" your verbal ability. There are certain people who COULD get really high level questions right, but could also miss lower level questions if they lose focus a little bit.

Do you have the GMATPrep Pack 1 add-on pack? It is an additional $29 paid to GMAC, but you add it on the the GMAT Prep software. It then delivers questions to you in the same format as the GMAT software. The Prep Pack has questions at the Easy Middle and Difficult levels. You need to go 100% on the Easiest level. You need to be close to 100% on the Middle level. If you can do this, then you can avoid the loss of focus that cost you on the 660 score exam you took.

I would say that there is no need to delay the test date. No need at all. You will do fine on Saturday. Do you have any other questions for me?
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by Wrestlin27 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:28 am
David,

Thanks for the response (and the instruction :D ).

I do have the GMAT Prep Question Pack. Thanks for the advice - I plan to work through all of the Easy & Medium Questions.

What's your recommendation for working through these questions? Sets of 5? 10? 20? How many should I do each day?

Obviously, I will review all of the incorrect/unsure questions in detail. I'm just not sure how much to do. I'm essentially working from home this week, so I have as much or as little time as I need. I want to build confidence and "bomb-proof" my verbal skills, but I don't want to burn myself out before Saturday.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:11 pm
A couple of hours per day will certainly not burn you out unless you are doing too much work with your job. I would do sets of 20. Do enough of them to fill up a couple of hours.

Remember you do not have a ton to do. You have proven that you can get the score. You just need to make sure that whatever happens you earn the score that you are capable of.

You have studied for about 9 months, now it is time for you to get your score!

Veritas Prep Reviews

by Wrestlin27 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:38 am
Thanks again, David.

I'll let you know how it goes on Saturday...

by Wrestlin27 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:32 am
Thanks again, David..... 700!!! Q47/V39/IR7.

On to finishing these applications... Will post full debrief in next several weeks, but special thanks to you and Veritas for pushing me to the 700-level.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 pm
You DID IT!!!

Congrats! That 700 barrier is the one to get over and you did it. Your score distribution is good, too. And your IR score.

I am pleased for the help that Vertias was able to offer, and pleased that you were able to make it happen.

Have fun with the applications!

David

Veritas Prep Reviews