Selecting a B-school

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Selecting a B-school

by shalini0817 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:20 am
Hello,

I wrote GMAT for the first time yesterday and scored 720. (Quant-50, Verbal-38 and IR-6).
I graduated as an engineer in 2007, not from a very reputed college in India.
I have about 6 years of work experience in software development and maintenance. I am also associated with an NGO. Overall, I have an average profile representative of any IT employee.

I want to apply to schools that offer 1 year MBA programs, specifically Leeds, Lancaster, Warwick and Copenhagen.

Please let me know how good (or bad ) are my chances. :roll:

by suk123 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 am
Your chances are very good at the schools you have just mentioned. if you are interested in non-US school I'll suggest you also look into LBS and Nanyang.
Now work diligently on your application specially your essay. Write a few essays and get them evaluated (first by your friends for English, later by professionals).

Followed by:1 members

by shalini0817 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:56 am
Currently, I have taken a break from my work as a software engineer and am working as a volunteer for a non-profit. I am also working as a quant trainer for a start-up institute that gives coaching for various MBA entrance exams in India.

Will this break, in any way, hurt my chances of getting an admit from a college, or my chances of getting an offer after completing an MBA?
Please advise.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:41 pm
As long as you can explain in the "optional" section. It should work.

LBS or the schools that you have listed require very specific profile when it comes to work experience. So, unless I've looked at your resume, it would be difficult to say.

-S
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by KellyRichard » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:57 am
The Leeds School of Business offers only one undergraduate degree, a Bachelor's in Science of Business Administration, or a BSBA. A BSBA is offered with concentrations in Accounting, Finance, Operations/Information Management, Marketing, and Management. The four-year degree requires a combination of Arts and Sciences core classes, a set of Business Core classes, concentration specific classes, and upper division business electives.

Required Business Core classes include Introduction to Business, Accounting, Management, Marketing, Finance, Ethics, Business Statistics, and Business Law. You must consult with Expert.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bremkofi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:34 pm
Hi, besides the programs you mentioned you can find more 1-year MBA programs here: https://www.aringo.com/ClientInfo/1y_programs.htm

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by InterviewBay2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:42 pm
shalini0817 wrote:Hello,

I wrote GMAT for the first time yesterday and scored 720. (Quant-50, Verbal-38 and IR-6).
I graduated as an engineer in 2007, not from a very reputed college in India.
I have about 6 years of work experience in software development and maintenance. I am also associated with an NGO. Overall, I have an average profile representative of any IT employee.

I want to apply to schools that offer 1 year MBA programs, specifically Leeds, Lancaster, Warwick and Copenhagen.

Please let me know how good (or bad ) are my chances. :roll:
A GMAT score of 720 is good and it shows you can withstand the rigors of a business school. What was your undergraduate GPA? Did you have any leadership experiences at your workplace? If you have a decent profile in terms of GPA and leadership experiences, then you have a good chance at your target schools. You will easily get into almost all of them. You should aim high. If I were you, I would remove all your schools from the list and apply to LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial/Cass.

Good luck!
www.interviewbay.com

by pegasus99 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:02 pm
This is an excellent GMAT scores and i think you have a very good chance at the schools you mentioned as well as in other schools.