can someone please help with this Syllogism?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

can someone please help with this Syllogism?

by sanga11 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:43 am
" All Terrorists are arrogant"
" Some Girls are arrogant"

By reading these statements twice or thrice, I cannot come with a definite relation between Terrorists and Girls. But My Venn Diagram shows "Some girls are not terrorists".
And the

Answer given is no conclusion
I have attached some venn diagrams. Please show which diagram i missed out.
Attachments
syllogism.png

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:38 am
WARNING: This is discussion involves formal logic of the type that is not needed on the GMAT. Formal logic does more to confuse that to help those studying for the GMAT.

Your two statements do not link up at all.

This is why Venn Diagrams are not properly used to PROVE something but instead to disprove something. So I can disprove your conclusion that "some girls are not terrorists" by simply saying that "all girls are terrorists." There is nothing in your statements to disprove this. You say "some" girls are arrogant but "some" allows for "all." As in "some people breathe oxygen" which of course is "all people."

So I can draw a diagram with a really big circle for arrogant, a slightly smaller circle completely inside that for terrorists and then a smaller circle completely inside that one for girls. So you can see that all girls would be terrorists and all terrorists arrogant.

My advice to you is not to worry about this. I have taught the LSAT for many years and never miss a question on formal logic. Yet, I have NEVER used formal logic on the GMAT. I have never drawn a Venn diagram on the GMAT.

This stuff is fun though!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course