Redo OG Guide Problems or Purchase additional Problems?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello all -

Thank you for being so helpful throughout this process. I took the test on Saturday and did not reach my goal. I scored a 550 Q32 V34 (Goal 650). However, my previous CATs I scored at least a 640 on each one with the lowest Quant at Q40.

My question is - Do I redo each OG Guide problem and evaluate each problem in detail? My first pass was merely familiarizing myself with each type of problem. I would focus on "level 2" learning on my second pass.

In addition, for verbal I would focus strictly on sentence correction. Lastly, in general I will continue to refine my test taking skills.

I would like to retake my test in a month. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've completed the following:
1. MGMAT Course
2. Gmatprep Question Pack 1.
3. Gmatprep practice tests (lowest score 640)
4. All OG Guide questions (including supplemental questions)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:34 am
My question is - Do I redo each OG Guide problem and evaluate each problem in detail? My first pass was merely familiarizing myself with each type of problem. I would focus on "level 2" learning on my second pass.
The answer to your question is YES! I was going to ask if you did the problems some time ago or if you feel that you are better at certain things now. Since clearly these things are true, PLEASE go back through the OG books that you have.

You also need to figure out what is different from the the CATs to the actual test. A drop from 640 and above to 550 is a big one and you need to figure out why this would happen.

My vote is that you made some uncharacteristic or "silly" errors. Or that your timing got way off and you ended up doing a lot of forced guessing.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rontej0226 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:44 am
Thanks David!

I really didn't have any issued with timing. However, I did guess an abnormal amount. My thoughts are that I made a lot of silly mistakes and didn't think the questions through (Maybe I was rushing in fear of being behind). My first few attempts at taking the test I had a lot of trouble with timing.

I also think that I was extremely nervous as I did not do well in Integrated reasoning either. It seems that I may have had that glazed look throughout the section instead of being active and generally attentive to detail.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:39 am
Here is the thing about the test - in particular the Quant section, but Verbal, too.

You have to take your time and get the questions right that you can get right. You have to avoid those "silly mistakes."

I am going to share some articles with you. The first group is about test anxiety. The second group is about timing.

Test Anxiety:

So confidence that your techniques will work even under pressure is the first key to not being nervous! If you can (for example) sit in a room with the TV on and still do SC or CR then you will not be so nervous about the test itself. So grow to trust yourself and you should be less anxious.

If you do find yourself getting anxious these articles provide ideas that can help.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/06/ ... n-the-gmat

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/10/ ... n-the-gmat
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor