Kindly Advise

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Kindly Advise

by gmat_guy666 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:28 am
Hello EveryOne !!

This isn't exactly related to GMAT strategy . I am little concerned about my workLoad at @ office and I need some advise as it is impacting my study plan a lot . I am a typical IT guy (6 years Exp) striving to get a managerial degree.

I have scheduled my GMAT in Dec Last week . With just 6 weeks left I Have to make an improvement of 90+ ( My current gmatprep score is 610). I cannot study because of the work ,which involves traveling to client sites at least 2-3 days in week. I am thinking of asking my manager to move me to a different Department ,within the business unit, that is less challenging and has a less scope of getting promoted . Since , GMAT & B-school is my priority I am totally fine to take this step, but I am not sure how to convince my manager ? What points should I put across that would enable a hassle free transition .

The Work I am opting for is non Technical and It is obvious my manager will question why I am looking for process oriented work after 6 years of hardcore technical work ? :o

Please share some pointers . I would love to here some strategies ... thank you !![/img]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:06 pm
Hi gmat_guy666,

I'm going to start with an obvious question: are you keeping your plans (to take the GMAT and go to Business School) a secret from your manager? If you told your manager, then what do you think the response would be?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat_guy666 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 am
Hi Rich ,

Thanks for the response . I am not telling ( and I have no Plans to tell) my manager about Gmat and B-schools because I am pretty sure he will not support me . Hypothetically speaking ,if he gets to know about it his reaction would be " Ahh this guy is going to leave the company shortly let me put more work load on him" So , I am definitely not going to tell him about the plans . Any recommendation / suggestion will be helpful.

regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:30 pm
Hi gmat_guy666,

It sounds like you'd have to convince your manager that you were interested in a different "career path", thus you'd want to transfer to a different part of the company. Perhaps you can communicate an interest in learning all aspects of the company/job and not just the aspects of the department that you're currently in.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:20 am
Hi GMAT guy,
Well, if you don't manage to convince your manager to give you more free time, one technique that my students often use is to study in the morning before going to work because you're usually fresher.

Also, this may not be possible but it's worth trying, you should try to take some time completely off from work. People that focus completely on the GMAT at least for a couple weeks often do better than those people who study over a longer time period (unless their problem is the RC/CR section- then you need to improve your reading ability which takes time). I know that it's really hard to take time off, but if you can think of any way to get away with it, you should at least try.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT