An obstacle

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

An obstacle

by Java_85 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:40 pm
The 151 member governments of the World Bank are expected to increase the bank's funding by $75 billion, though some United States legislators cite an obstacle to congressional passage being the concern that the bank's loans will help foreign producers compete with American businesses.

(A) an obstacle to congressional passage being the concern
(B) a concern as an obstacle to congressional passage
(C) as an obstacle to congressional passage the concern
(D) the concern, an obstacle to congressional passage,
(E) as an obstacle for Congress to pass it the concern

What do you think? (OA available)

by pareekbharat86 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:02 pm
Is it B?
Thanks,
Bharat.

by pareekbharat86 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:04 pm
Is it B?
Thanks,
Bharat.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:14 pm
{A} - INCORRECT; "cite" means not happening currently.. so "being" is incorrect usage
{B} - INCORRECT; "that" in non-underlined text needs "concern" as subject"
{C} -
{D} - INCORRECT; the usage of appositive to describe concern is wrong..
{E} - INCORRECT; "it"

I was confused between {C} & {D}... I selected {C} because the way "concern" is described in {D} seems wrong; "concern" is not a proper noun so I believe we cannot describe it like that.

What is the OA?
R A H U L

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by AbhiS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:48 am
The IMO is C

This one was very tricky and i was confused between B & C

B is wrong because it separates "a concern" from "that the bank's loans will help'' and you can not separate the noun from its modifier

Hope it helps

Thanks

by dominhtri1995 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:10 am
B is totally fine I think.
We should put the noun right after the verb ( "cite").
"That" can still modify " a concern" because " as an obstacle to congressional passage" is just a modifier to the concern.

Check out this question from Veritas Prep:

C-Blast is a hearty blend of powerful vitamins, minerals, and immunity-boosting micronutrients that promote a healthy metabolism, soothe the stomach, come packaged in a high-tech bottle, and will give you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

A) micronutrients that promote a healthy metabolism, soothe the stomach, come packaged in a high-tech bottle, and will give you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

B )micronutrients that promote a healthy metabolism, soothe the stomach, come packaged in a high-tech bottle, and they give you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

C) micronutrients that promotes a healthy metabolism, soothes the stomach, comes packaged in a high-tech bottle, and gives you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

D) micronutrients that promotes a healthy metabolism, soothes the stomach, comes packaged in a high-tech bottle, and giving you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

E)micronutrients that promote a healthy metabolism, soothes the stomach, comes packaged in a high-tech bottle, and give you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

OA C

Legendary Member

by theCodeToGMAT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:47 am
The problem with {B} is that "that" has two possible antecedent "concern" and "obstacle".. that's why concern that is better.
R A H U L

by AbhiS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:03 am
@ Dominhtri1995

I should say the problem you have posted is a nice question. And IMO is C
------

Now there are 2 things which you should consider when you have relative pronoun in hand - (Which & That)

1) as a generic rule relative pronoun modifies the closest noun it touches,
2) or the subject of the preposition phrase when the object of the prepositional phrase is an essential.

In the example - "The box of nails,which is kept on table, is of red color."

There can be many boxes which are on the table, hence the use of object of the prepositional phrase is essential, - To ans the question which box?
The box of Nails; in this sentence the nails, object of the prepositional phrase is essential to distinguish it from the remaining boxes. So the ''Which'' in this sentence is referring back to the specific Box

Now if I have to take the eg: which you have posted - ''That'' is referring to the blend.
blend of x,y & z that.... the remaining structure.

X,Y,Z is essential to distinguish it from the various blends available in the market or to describe it specifically.

That in this sentence is not referring back to C-Blast ( if it does, then I m surely missing some thing - Please post OE also)
-------
Now coming back to the Original Problem in the thread ''a concern'' in option B does not follow a prepositional phrase and if it did then the prepositional phrase has to be essential. Hence, it cannot modify ''the bank's loans will help... ''

Option C corrects this error.

I hope it helps.

Thanks

Rgds,

Legendary Member

by theCodeToGMAT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:08 am
dominhtri1995 wrote: C-Blast is a hearty blend of powerful vitamins, minerals, and immunity-boosting micronutrients that promote a healthy metabolism, soothe the stomach, come packaged in a high-tech bottle, and will give you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

A) micronutrients that promote a healthy metabolism, soothe the stomach, come packaged in a high-tech bottle, and will give you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

B )micronutrients that promote a healthy metabolism, soothe the stomach, come packaged in a high-tech bottle, and they give you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

C) micronutrients that promotes a healthy metabolism, soothes the stomach, comes packaged in a high-tech bottle, and gives you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

D) micronutrients that promotes a healthy metabolism, soothes the stomach, comes packaged in a high-tech bottle, and giving you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

E)micronutrients that promote a healthy metabolism, soothes the stomach, comes packaged in a high-tech bottle, and give you a patented C-Blast of chemical-free energy.

OA C
For the question in the post:
{A} - INCORRECT; promote ..., soothe..., come ...and will give" parallelism issue
{B} - INCORRECT; promote ..., soothe..., come ...and they give" parallelism issue
{C} - CORRECT
{D} - INCORRECT; promotes ..., soothes..., comes ...and will giving" parallelism issue
{E} - INCORRECT; promote ..., soothes..., comes..., and give ---> two are singular and two are plural

This question could have been more tricky if two answer choices with promote & promotes had correct parallelism
R A H U L

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by guptas » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:23 am
My answer is D.