Best Los Angeles Based Tutor (Quant Strong)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Best Los Angeles Based Tutor (Quant Strong)

by lizlizliz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 pm
Hi there!

I've heard Ron Purewall is a great tutor, however I'm not in San Francisco! Soo those of you who are LA based and have taken private tutoring who would you recommend is a really seasoned GMAT tutor, particularly great in Quant?! (I need someone that can give me a daily intensive for about a week).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:56 am
I see that you are looking for the best of the best. Well luckily Veritas Prep is headquartered in Malibu and has a great concentration of talent in the L.A. area. (We have talent all of the world but L.A. is a strong point).

If you contact Veritas (just click on the name!)you will be connected with someone who is great at Quant and who has the availability that you are looking for - basically you want to meet in person every day for a about a week. That kind of availability combined with a ton of experience could be tough to find, but I bet we have someone in L.A. that fits the bill. And if you go with a major company like Veritas you get lots of extra resources that will allow you to get the most out of tutoring sessions.

While you are looking for a tutor, why not sign up for the FREE Veritas seminar "Statistically Speaking: The Errors the GMAT Knows You'll Make" the link if in my signature line. That seminar will give you great insight into the Quant section and is hosted by Brian Galvin vice president of instruction at Veritas.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:07 pm
Hi lizlizliz,

Why are you attempting to do so much tutoring in such a short period of time? While "cramming" serves many students well during "finals week", that process doesn't tend to lead to strong results on standardized tests such as the GMAT. It's akin to trying to learn a musical instrument; you can't "cram" guitar lessons and be great at the guitar - a longer, more drawn out process tends to lead to better results.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by lizlizliz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:01 pm
Hi David and Rich! Thanks for your replies.

To adress Rich's comment I'm not actually cramming.

I started studying for the GMAT in august (so this is my fourth month) and underwent online one-on-one tutoring for 2 months (maybe 18-20 tutor sessions in total).

I'm not someone who is beginning her gmat study and expects a 720 in a week. This is months of work. What I'd like is an intense continuos line of in-person sessions that will take me over the line (close to the exam, so it's still fresh) by a tried tutor.

Thanks!
Liz

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:40 pm
Hi lizlizliz,

I hope that you understand that I was just curious about your situation; I wasn't implying anything about your familiarity with the GMAT. To that end, now you that you've defined your goal, how have you been scoring on your practice CATs?

Rich

by lizlizliz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 am
Hey Rich,

I didn't take it anything other than curiosity :) (I wasn't offended:). I did alright on the CAT's. I've actually taken the test once. I took it at the end of October. On the last CAT before the test I got 690. Test Day: 650. I did pretty well in Verbal (90%), AWA, and IR...I just need to get my math up. The tutor that I had before was cool (I think it was a little difficult because we were working on content and strategy at the same time. That isn't a mistake I'd like to make again, so I plan on finishing up all of the content review (using Sackman's Total Gmat) before doing strategy. I've done most (if not all) of OG Quant, OG Verbal and OG 13 with the tutor, I also did some LSAT and GRE problems with him. I've taken all of the GMAT Prep CATS.

What do you think?!

I definitely am encouraged reading posts by you and others on beatthegmat of course.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:17 pm
Hi lizlizliz,

It sounds like you've put in some serious time and effort already and you're close to the 700+ that everyone's looking to score. You should know that a 650 is actually really close to a 690, in terms of "performance" - the difference came down to a few silly mistakes on Test Day. I'd suggest that you take a good look at your past practice CATs and review all of the questions that you COULD/SHOULD have gotten correct but didn't. Those questions represent your missing points and are likely to be more about strategy/patterns/tactics than about math skills.

Rich