Suggestions for First Mock

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Suggestions for First Mock

by sukhmani10 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 am
I started studying for the GMAT about 15 odd days ago and have familiarized myself with the basic concepts of each question type in verbal and quant, and have also practiced questions from the OG. I wish to take a mock test, to see where I stand before I start my intense preparation and finalize the date of the test. Should I take one of the GMAT Prep tests,or should I save it for later? If not, please could you suggest an ideal test, since I want to start with a fair assessment and Kaplan, Manhattan etc. didn't seem to fit the bill.
Thanks !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:45 am
Hi sukhmani10,

The most realistic practice CATs available are the GMAT Prep tests (you can get 2 for free and 2 more can be purchased for $40). The CATs from ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan are close enough to the real GMAT that the scores from those exams can be used to measure your progress.

So, take whichever one you want to take. There are plenty to choose from, so you shouldn't feel as though you have to save one for later.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:58 am
Two things:

1) You can take each of the two free GMATPrep tests more than once. You will likely see some overlap in questions, but since this is an adaptive test, you will see fewer questions that repeat if you improve your abilities substantially. In other words, if you are getting more difficult questions right the second time you take the same GMATPrep test you will see fewer repeat questions. Since you have only studied for 15 days, I would say that you should probably take the official GMATPrep test 1. If you score really well then you are on your way and you can always purchase the two additional GMATPrep tests later. If you do not score as well this time then after you have studied some more when you return to this test for a second try you will likely see few repeats.

2) The Veritas Prep Free Practice Test should be on your list. The evidence that I have seen indicates that it is pretty accurate in terms of matching up with the score that people are getting o the GMATPrep and on the official GMAT. You can take this one now to see where you stand, or if you take the official GMATPrep test 1 now then be sure to keep this one in you rotation for later! https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gm ... tice-test/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course