Last mile!

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Last mile!

by pareekbharat86 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:34 pm
Hi, I have put in a little over 100 hours on GMAT. I started with OG (edition 13). Finishing that, I proceeded to Kaplan Premier 2014. I recently finished reading and solving Kaplan too. In the meantime I have attempted-

GMAT Practice Test 1- 620 (a little over a month back)
Kaplan Practice Test 1- 680 (a fortnight back)
Kaplan Practice Test 2- 680 (today)

Kaplan Premier had too few practice questions. Also the book was topic-wise instead of additionally having jumbled up questions.

I still feel I need additional practice in certain quant. topics and in Sentence Correction. I have also found myself rushing through the last few question in each section while attempting a test.

I have ordered Manhattan's SC for additional practice.

Can you suggest something for Quant- a book that has a decent no. of sums and very few (or absolutely none!) beginner level questions?

How good an idea is to purchase GMAT's Quant. Review (2nd edition)?

I really want to propel my scores to the 700+ levels. I plan to take the test in the first week of Dec'13.

Please help.
Thanks,
Bharat.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:50 am
Do you only need additional practice questions and tests? Or do you need some more strategy as well? I am going to assume that you are only looking for additional questions to practice. Please indicate if you need strategy advice as well.

You need to get the GMATPrep Pack 1 add-on for the GMATPrep software. That is over 400 additional questions and they are delivered in the same format as the actual test - namely on the computer from GMAC. You said that you want absolutely no "beginner" questions, however, I maintain that you will see some lower level questions at some point during your test. And if not low-level at least mid-level. So it is a good idea to work these in as well. It is important to be efficient with lower difficulty questions, as opposed to over-thinking them.

I do recommend the Quant Review as well as the Verbal Review. Practicing official questions is great, even if they are at all levels and not only at the highest level.

There are two Veritas resources that I can recommend the Veritas Prep free question bank https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/ and the Veritas Prep free practice test https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gm ... tice-test/

As a note, you should take either the Veritas Prep test that I have linked above or the official GMATPrep Practice test #2 to see where you stand right now. You might be at 680 or a little above or below. If you use the 2nd GMAT Prep test don't worry about having used both tests as you can still use each of them a second time and/or you can purchase two more tests with the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:16 pm
Hi pareekbharat86,

What were your Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal sections on each of those practice CATs? While you've defined some of the areas that concern you, there might be some additional issues that you might not yet realize. If you haven't done so, you should go back and review each of those CATs. Figure out WHY you're getting questions wrong and focus on fixing THOSE problems and you might be surprised how many points you can pick up.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]