Effect of several Tsunamis

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by umaa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 pm
After suffering the effect of several tsunamis, the residents of a Japanese city built a wall on their coast over forty feet hih and a mile long, a way to protect the city against another disaster.

B. in efforts to protect
C. Protecting
D. to protect in one way
E. in order to protect

Ans C
Can you pls explain?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Please re-confirm the OA

by Dream Weaver » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:39 pm
After suffering the effect of several tsunamis, the residents of a Japanese city built a wall on their coast over forty feet hih and a mile long, a way to protect the city against another disaster.

B. in efforts to protect
C. Protecting
D. to protect in one way
E. in order to protect

I would go with E, Please re-confirm the OA.

Or may be, to protect should be followed by (from), and therefore (protecting followed by against) is the correct option.

Lets wait for others to pitch in with their opinion.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by blackarrow » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:00 pm

B. in efforts to protect - wall and not efforts are protecting against disaster
C. Protecting - right answer
D. to protect in one way - incorrcet- the wall which is 40 feet high and 1 mile long is not a way to protect against disaster, but the wall itself protects
E. in order to protect - incorrect. the 40 feet high and one mile long wall is actually protecting against the disatser.
Its better to burn out than to fade away

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kisna_428 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:59 pm
Why is option a wrong ? Can anyone care to explain !

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by AbhiS » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:22 am
I'm not sure what is wrong with Option A it just sounds awkward to me

Please try reading the sentence without the prepositional phrases

After suffering the effect of several tsunamis, the residents of a Japanese city built a wall on their coast over forty feet high and a mile long, a way to protect the city against another disaster.

Now -

A) After suffering, the residents built a wall, a way to protect the city against another disaster. Incorrect (Awkward)
C) After suffering, the residents built a wall, protecting the city against another disaster. Correct
E) After suffering, the residents built a wall, in order to protect the city against another disaster. Incorrect (This is more wordy than C, I was not able to figure out any other reason to eliminate this choice)

I hope this helps

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:50 am
kisna_428 wrote:Why is option a wrong ? Can anyone care to explain !
"After suffering the effect of several tsunamis, the residents of a Japanese city built a wall on their coast over forty feet hih and a mile long, a way to protect the city against another disaster."

Here, the better option would have been "a measure to protect"
R A H U L

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:11 am
umaa wrote:After suffering the effect of several tsunamis, the residents of a Japanese city built a wall on their coast over forty feet hih and a mile long, a way to protect the city against another disaster.

B. in efforts to protect
C. Protecting
D. to protect in one way
E. in order to protect

Ans C
Can you pls explain?
Dear GMATGuru,

Why A is incorrect?

Is it correct the following construction "NOUN + NOUN MODIFIER: MODIFYING PRECEDING CLAUSE". Isn't it summative modifier.?

The sentence at hand is like the following example below:

State lawmakers are considering a law that would allow children as young as seven whose parents are divorced to choose the parent with whom they will live, a policy that would likely dissuade those parents.

The conditions are met as stated by you in earlier posts:
Summative modifier:
1- composed of COMMA + Abstract Noun + other words
2- Usually appears at the end of sentence
3-Serves to some up the preceding clause.
4- does not refer to any particular word

Thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:25 pm
The SC above is modeled -- not altogether successfully -- after SC30 in the OG12:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/not-sure-ab ... 65701.html
Rather than study the SC above, stick to the official SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:37 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:The SC above is modeled -- not altogether successfully -- after SC30 in the OG12:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/not-sure-ab ... 65701.html
Rather than study the SC above, stick to the official SC.
Thanks Mitch for your response.

Regarding the OG12 SC, can't the a method be summative modifier? Or does not make sense as 'method' does not sum up any action?

For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

Your elaboration is always appreciated

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 pm
Mo2men wrote:Regarding the OG12 SC, can't the a method be summative modifier? Or does not make sense as 'method' does not sum up any action?

For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

Thanks
A method is a PROCEDURE for accomplishing a particular goal.
Since the clause in red does not discuss a procedure, it cannot be summed up as a METHOD.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:51 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:Regarding the OG12 SC, can't the a method be summative modifier? Or does not make sense as 'method' does not sum up any action?

Thanks
A method is a PROCEDURE for accomplishing a particular goal.
Since the clause in red does not discuss a procedure, it cannot be summed up as a METHOD.
Thanks for your kind response