Scores Trending Downward-1 week until test

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Scores Trending Downward-1 week until test

by Adamww1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:25 pm
All,

I just took my fourth practice tonight, one week before the real thing, and was crushed to see that my score was a horrible 510 (33 Q, 28 V). I just completed a one week immersion course with Veristas Prep and was able to do very well on most of the problems we did in class and the homework problems. I took my first practice test with them this evening and got the horrible score mentioned above. I have taken three other CATS and scored the following:

Kaplan Diagnostic- 530(!Q31,V30) IR=1
Kaplan CAT#2-490 (Q33, V21) IR=2
Manhattan CAT#1- 590- Did not do essay or IR, hence the inflated score
Veritas Prep #1- 510 (Q33, V #28) IR=2

I have no clue why my scores are so low, much less trending down so much. Verbal is my strong suit but I don't understand how my scaled score on that is so low? On the Veristas exam it said I answered 70% of those questions right, yet my scaled score for the verbal is below the 50th percentile? I know I suffer greatly in quant so thats not as much of a surprise.

Any thoughts on how I should spend this week? I know i struggle in the following areas:
Exponents- I forget the rules and this has cost me 1-2 questions on each test, both of which were probably in the "easy" category.
Geometry- Never can master
Data sufficiency-

I am taking the test Nov. 7th and really want to apply for round 2 deadlines at my local programs. I am attempting to go part-time so I know a 700+ isn't a must but 500 won't cut it either. I really feel I just need a 600+ score to be good.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:02 pm
Hi Adamww1,

Your CAT scores 530, 490 and 510 are all within range of one another (the 590 is not realistic because you didn't take the entire practice exam), so with a Test that is 8 days away, the only practical advice that I can offer is to push back your GMAT and adjust your admissions timeline. I know that neither of those ideas will make you happy, but there's no reason to expect a huge score increase to occur in 8 days. As a counter-point, you can still take the GMAT as scheduled; Business Schools don't care if you retest, so if your Official Score isn't to your liking, then you can retake as needed. To raise your score, you're going to have to change the way that you approach the GMAT.

You've defined two of your "weak spots" (exponents and geometry) that are almost completely "formula/rule" related, so if you haven't gotten comfortable with the formulas/rules YET, then you need some more time and practice (and possibly some new resources). Data Sufficiency is the bigger issue though, since you'll see so many DS questions on the actual GMAT. The proper tactics are what will make the difference there.

Whatever struggles you're facing, you're not alone. Some people need to study a bit more than others (and some have to study a LOT more); the GOAL doesn't change though: a strong GMAT score that leads to an MBA program of your choosing.

If you stick to your existing Test Date, then you should go back and review your practice CATs. Figure out WHY you're getting questions wrong (in many cases, you'll be able to pinpoint a silly mistake), then FIX those problems. If you can keep the silly mistakes from happening, then you might be able to pick up some points on your Official GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 am
I wholeheartedly agree with Rich's advice.
I'd like to add that students seldom see significant score increases (i.e., 90+ points) on test day. That said, there are some students who actually flourish in a formal testing environment and see their test scores rise.

If you are going to take the test in 8 days, I suggest that you take at least 2 more practice tests and use them to identify weaknesses. While analyzing your practice tests, watch out for these four main areas of weakness:
1. specific Quant skills/concepts (e.g., algebra, standard deviation, etc.)
2. specific Verbal skills/concepts (e.g., verb tenses, assumption CR questions, etc.)
3. test-taking skills (time management, endurance, etc.)
4. silly mistakes

For the two weaknesses, the fix is pretty straightforward. Learn the concept/skill and find some practice questions to strengthen that weakness. To focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature to isolate one concept. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

If your test-taking skills are holding you back, then you need to work on these. For example, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244. Then you should hone your test-taking skills by taking more practice tests.

Finally, if silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes during your prep so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:25 am
You still have more than 7 days before the test. You need to postpone that test now. You scores have not dropped. They are all in the same range. The test you took under different circumstances does not really count.

If you postpone your test for a month or so you will have a chance for everything that you learn to sink in and to apply that knowledge on CAT tests.

You have several more Veritas tests left to take as well as GMATPrep tests so you will have plenty of chances to measure your improvement.

First, you need to postpone your test.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Adamww1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:42 am
Thanks for all the great advice guys but I don't think I will postpone the exam. I know its better if I do, but I really want to have one full experience of taking the test under realistic conditions. Part of my problem may be that I take the test at home where there are many distractions (phone ringing, family talking etc) I don't think these things will account for a drastic increase but I want to see if they play any role. I also know business schools do not care if you test multiple times, so I figure I'll study my ass off this week and see where that leads me.

I really think my problem comes in remembering the formulas, not the actual use of them. Reviewing my test this morning, I seemed to know what to do, just not the formula to apply. For example, I have an exponent question that dealt with large exponents in fraction form. I knew I should have factored out and simplified, but I forgot the basic exponent rules. I will focus this next week on getting the rules down cold.

The verbal is more complicated though, how would I answer 70% of the questions right and only get a 28? I know the questions are based on difficulty levels but shouldn't I be seeing hard questions if keep getting them right? Maybe David has some insight into Veritas method of scoring on that?

Thanks again for the advice guys,
Adam

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:21 am
Adam -

It depends on the test that you took. If you can send me a Private Message with your email address I can look up your test and tell you precisely why your score is what it is.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course