Need to get 550-600 on GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need to get 550-600 on GMAT

by success13 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:08 am
Hello guys, in advance, I thank your input on this question. I need to score 550-600 on GMAT and for sure 50% or higher on Quantitative (per admissions officer). What range of questions (quantitative and verbal) do you believe are representative of this score range in the OG 13? I just finished a live prep class. Would you use other materials? I know some people do the last 100 questions of each section of the OG but to get a higher score for example. I appreciate your responses.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:09 am
The good news is that the vast majority of the questions in the OG 13 certainly apply to your situation. Only a fraction of the questions on the Quant side are in the top 20 percentile and most of them are around the 500 to 600 range. Even the early questions that are at a lower difficulty are very important to your score since these "easy" questions are the very ones that you do not want to miss on test day. This article explains the importance of such questions https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/12/ ... n-the-gmat

If you can get 25 questions right (out of 37) on test day you should be able to score above the 50th percentile on the Quant section. If you can also score above the 50th on verbal then you score will be safely above 550.

The other source to make sure that you use is the GMAT Prep Pack 1 question add on for the GMAT Prep. This gives you over 400 additional questions that are taken on the computer. Questions are grouped by difficulty level. For you the "easy" and "medium" questions are the most important to master since those are the questions that will take you too and above the 50th percentile in each section. If you are able to answer the "hard" questions correctly as well that is a bonus!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:57 am
Hi success13,

Beyond the individual questions that you'll need to get correct, you'll need to put together a complete overall performance, which means that you'll have to learn to battle the physical and psychological stresses of the GMAT as well as learn proper pacing. Have you taken any practice tests/CATs yet? If not, then you should do so; the data from that practice CAT will give you some insight into what areas you need to focus on.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Sun May 22, 2016 2:11 pm
hey ! I scored 340 on gmat prep while i got 50% of each verbal and quant section right >>> anyone knows why is that ? i need 550 to apply for my master program in business school.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun May 22, 2016 2:36 pm
Hi shabnam_d3,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. It takes into account a number of different factors - more than just the number of correct answers. As such, you shouldn't be spending time trying to figure it all out. You'd be better served working on building up your skills. From your post, it's not clear whether you got 50% of the questions correct OR you scored the 50th percentile in each section. The overall score result could vary significantly depending on what you're referring to.

If you're currently scoring in the 300s, but your score goal is 550+, then you're likely going to need to continue studying for several months (likely 3 months or more) and you'll likely need to invest in some new study materials. In your other post, you mentioned that you were taking the GMAT tomorrow. You should post back here with that score result and we can discuss your studies going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]