GMAT 640 (Q44 V35) UCLA & Berkeley Part Time-- THANKS !!

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi,

Appreciate your time and response.
Im a 27yrs old Indian male working in San Diego.

1) I work as an Electrical Application Engineer (Technical Marketing) in a semiconductor industry (4 years of work experience)
As part of my job I travel to customer sites to promote products, I have been promoted twice in these four years. Due to the combination of my technical and people skills my company has made me responsible for a major customer.

2) My GMAT story is disappointing and I dont think it depicts my abilities , but I hope I can get into one of my desired programs without another retake due to my other responsibilities.

1st attempt I scored 540 AWA 6.0 IR 5
2nd attempt 640 (Q44 V35) awaiting AWA and IR

3) UG : Anna University - India BS in Electical Engineering - GPA 4.0 (Graduation year 2007)
MS : University of South Florida - MS in Electircal Engineering - GPA 3.7 (Graduation year 2009)

4) During my masters I did thesis option and have two publications to my credit in major conferences in my filed. I have reseach and teaching experience.
I have obtained numerous awards from my present employeer for leadership qualities that I showed in my current job.

5) Im trageting UCLA and UC Berkeley part time MBA

6) Im planning to apply in R1 2013 - 20014

7) After MBA I want to stay in the technology field and move into marketing/business development role - in which I can leverage my technical skills.

-Thanks,
Siva

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 am
shivas86,

Thanks for your post.

With two promotions in 4 years, your career progression should be a strength to your application. That said, you will still be on the "young" side in terms of years of work experience. Haas part-time MBA has a median of 7 years of work experience and Anderson has an average of 7 years of work experience. It will be important for your recommendation letters to highlight your senior management potential and how you are performing beyond your years of experience. Another important consideration in work experience is salary - Anderson's FEMBA average base salary was $84K.

Your GMAT score is not too far out of range for your target schools. UCLA FEMBA's average last year was 685 (with 640-730 being the 80% range). Haas' was 692 (with 640-750 being the 80% range). Your above average GPA should help mostly balance your GMAT score.

The third important area to your application is your community / extracurricular involvement. Admissions officers are looking for candidates who will not only be professional leaders, but also leaders in the community. Don't forget to include these involvements in your essays.

Good luck!

Best,
Heidi
Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our award-winning blog for daily MBA admissions updates
Use our b-schools dashboard for your MBA program research
Download our publications on b-schools and admissions strategy
Visit our MBA interview archive to read and share interview insights

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by shivas86 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:31 pm
Hi Heidi,

Thanks a lot for your response, it was very encouraging. Most people look at my profile and after seeing my low GMAT score they stop :)

I'm sure I can get great recommendation letters.
One area I might lack is community and extracurricular involvement. My work is so hectic that I dont get time to serve the community (which I'm ashamed of - I keep telling myself I will do it one of these days).

-Thanks,
Siva

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by basso25@ » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:23 pm
wow, i'm in a similar seat: 640 gmat and hoping to get into haas PT as well. nice to know that there is a chance -- of course, profiles are different, but i am also concerned that a 640 was a deal breaker.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:42 am
You are both within the 80% GMAT range for Haas' evening and weekend program, so definitely have a shot. They do have one of the most competitive part-time MBA programs, with an acceptance rate of 40%, so it certainly isn't a guarantee of admission. But I think worth putting together a strong application.

UCLA FEMBA's acceptance rate is 66% and their 80% GMAT range is 630-740, so that would be another school to consider.

Good luck!
Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our award-winning blog for daily MBA admissions updates
Use our b-schools dashboard for your MBA program research
Download our publications on b-schools and admissions strategy
Visit our MBA interview archive to read and share interview insights