GMAT multiple attempts: How many is too many?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

GMAT multiple attempts: How many is too many?

by sidceg » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:49 am
Let me tell you my GMAT story just to make sure you get a clear picture of how complicated my situation is. FYI, I have given my GMAT 4 times!

1st attempt: 2010 (right after my college) - 490 - Didn't take it seriously and didn't know that it was foolish to give the GMAT as soon as one graduates i.e., with no work experience. Didn't know how much wasting an attempt would thwart my profile

2nd attempt: 2012 - 480 - Studied for a month, but not in the right way

3rd and 4th attempts: 2013 (Aug) and 2013 (Oct) - 590 - Signed up for a prep course on April 2013, changed entirely the way I prepared last time, got every info possible from people, internet and past experiences, and also scored well on the practice tests (I was in the 650 to 690 range with quant score averaging at 45 and verbal score hovering at 34). But still no idea what went wrong.

Only difference between the last two attempts are in the split ups.
3rd time: 590 - Q41 V27
4th time: 590 - Q48 V23

Now, what if I postpone the whole MBA thing for a couple of years, as I have only 3 and half years of work experience, which is kinda less when compared with the schools' averages, and give my GMAT (for the 5th time) just for one more time when I have around 5 or 6 years work experience? You know give this GMAT a break for now and concentrate on my career, which let's assume will be compelling. How will the adcoms see me then? Do the adcoms really mean when they say they will only consider the highest GMAT score in their schools' websites under FAQs related to multiple GMAT attempts?

I am pondering over a lot of things. Please help me out. Looking out for some light at the end of this tunnel.

P.S. I am not aiming at the top 10 B schools so let's not consider how those adcoms will see me as the pool will be extremely competitive there.

Thank you.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:25 am
This is an excellent question. The general rule is that you can take the GMAT as many times and the Admissions Committee looks at the highest score. I have heard exceptions. But given you were scoring much higher in your practice exams, I would recommend you to retake the test and apply when you are ready.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sidceg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:47 am
MBAPrepAdvantage wrote:The general rule is that you can take the GMAT as many times and the Admissions Committee looks at the highest score. I have heard exceptions.
"As many times" - What if this is above 4? Say, 5 or 6 or even 7 times. Has anyone been successful in getting an admission in any of the top 20 or top 30 programs with such a profile?

The main reason I am hesitant in giving one more attempt is I am worried whether the number of my GMAT attempts has already raised a red flag on my profile.