Profile Eval: What schools to apply for?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Profile Eval: What schools to apply for?

by sidceg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:54 am
Hi,

Based on my profile below, I would like to know what are the schools I can look to apply for.

Undergraduate GPA: 6.13 on 10
Undergraduate University: College of Engineering, Guindy, India
GMAT: 590 (Q48;V23)
GMAT Date: 21st October 2013
Current position: Business Analyst
Current Industry: Supply Chain in Semiconductor Industry (Client is the world leader in Semiconductor Equipment Manufacturer)
Work Experience: 3 years and 5 months; Will be 4 years on June 2014
Post MBA Goal: To work in Supply Chain in Automotive Industry, mainly the ones in Europe such as Audi, Mercedes or BMW. It's my passion to work in an Automobile company. Or supply chain in Tech firms such as Google or Amazon.
Preferred location: Europe or Western US (mainly for the presence of Automobile industry and Tech firms)
Extra curriculars: When in college, managed few events and was part of an NGO. Also, I was in the the college band. After college, I took up photography and now doing wedding photography as freelancer. Even got one of my photographs published in the newspaper.
Achievements: Won an award for cost reduction for the client and the second one is on the process for client's appreciation. In my previous organisation, which was a start up, I solved a major crisis and saved the company from losing its man hours.

It would be nice if some one can tell me what schools I can apply for.

Thank you.

Regards,
Sid

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 am
Hi there,

Since you're still early in your career (4 years by next summer is still slightly below average) do you have any reservations against retaking your GMAT? With a 590, you're going to put yourself behind the 8 ball. Your school selection is significantly driven by that score and if you apply with it, you'll put a lot of undue pressure on the rest of your application.

If, for some reason, you absolutely do not want to retake the GMAT we can talk about schools at that point.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by sidceg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:53 pm
Okay I have got two doubts here.

1. I have given GMAT for 4 times and the last two times I have scored 590. I am not applying for any of the top 10 or even the top 20. I wanted to know whether with this given profile, can I at least hope to get an admission from any decent schools with a decent ROI.

2. If I put my MBA dream on hold for now and take up may be after 2 or 3 years, or later, will the schools look at my GMAT history in a negative way? Consider I will be giving another attempt by then because by then the schools won't be accepting any of these scores that I have now. And consider I would have done something more than this in my career. What are my chances then?

Please have some good news for me :( I am almost on the verge of giving up on this.

Thank you.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Umang.Garg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:12 pm
Hi There,

Fist Advice - next time you give GMAT - please take some mock tests. There are multiple free resources that you can use for the purpose. If you need some tips on that please reach out for FREE advice at https://www.mbastudents.tk/

We are a group of students at Wharton, ISB, Bocconi doing an "academic project". As a part of that project we will be happy to engage with deserving candidates and provide them FREE advice on applications, interview tips, choices of courses, career opportunities etc.

In 2012 we successfully navigated for ourselves offer of admissions from Wharton, ISB, Oxford, HKUST and NUS.

Second Advice - why you want to do an MBA ? Think about that. If you know why - then reach out to us for further advice.

Engage and Benefit.

Best,

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:38 pm
Hey there,

Gotcha - didn't realize you had taken it 4 times already. I would say you have 1 retake in you before you absolutely need to call it quits on the GMAT. If, however, it means you put your dream on hold for 2 - 3 years, maybe it isn't worth your time. That's a personal decision but I can see you're leaning towards not retaking it.

As for getting into a decent school with a decent ROI, absolutely! Don't give up hope - a 600 isn't a great score but it's enough to get you into some good, brand name programs. As for your post MBA goals, supply chain makes sense and I think the right MBA can really open the doors you need opened to get into a Google or BMW. Those are brand name companies and you'll need to pick wisely.

Your close to top choice should be Vanderbilt (Owen). They have one of the best supply chain MBA programs out there and it's going to get your foot in the door at a lot of places, including consulting. A lot of tier 2 firms hire out of Owen to fill specific niche roles.

Also look at Georgia Tech - you're less competitive there on some of the basic metrics but you could put forward a compelling story there if you're looking to go high - tech.

Look at Michigan State (Broad) - for obvious reasons! That's US Auto right there.

There are a ton of other programs that offer high ROIs and it'll take a little effort to narrow it down.

I will say this, however - given your GMAT your application needs to be perfect. You want to get into the highest ranked program you can - every notch matters when it comes to certain companies. They often have cut offs that you don't want to be on the wrong side of.

If you'd like to chat about this in detail, don't hesitate to sign up here!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by sidceg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:03 am
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:I would say you have 1 retake in you before you absolutely need to call it quits on the GMAT. If, however, it means you put your dream on hold for 2 - 3 years, maybe it isn't worth your time.
I didn't get this quite clearly. Can you please explain this?

Also, I've got two questions:
1. How will the adcoms see me if I were to give my GMAT once again after a year or two, in addition to increasing my work experience (both quantity and quality)?
2. Do schools really mean when they say they consider only the highest GMAT score if attempted multiple times? Or will I be judged on the number of attempts I've made?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:41 am
Hi there,

What I meant was if you didn't want to wait 2 or 3 years, then retaking your GMAT wouldn't be the right decision for you specifically. I think a higher score, at least one that starts with a "6", will be hugely useful but I wanted to give you an option, an out if you will.

To your two questions:

1) The improved score and improved profile will greatly outweigh the fact that it's your 5th attempt.
2) Yes, they do mean that. Now, they look at your journey but when it comes to rankings, only your highest score matters so, in all honesty, they care most about that highest score.

Which way are you leaning?

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by sidceg » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:52 am
Thank you for the kind words. I will call it a day for GMAT and take this up again next year end or a year after that.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lamborghini1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:40 pm
Your school selection is significantly driven by that score and if you apply with it, you'll put a lot of undue pressure on the rest of your application.
There are a ton of other programs that offer high ROIs and it'll take a little effort to narrow it down.