Seeking Expert Judgement

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Seeking Expert Judgement

by ahhejase » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:31 pm
- GPA, major, school:3.12, Finance Major, Oakland University, MI & MA Economics UD Mercy 3.27 GPA
- GMAT with breakdown: Q47 V36 680
- resume highlights, including company name, job titles and promotions

1.5 yrs: financial Analyst with Kuwaiti PEG 1yr , then 0.5 yr as business coordinator liaising between same PEG and acquired firm, worked in Detroit, managed financials and all business purposes, and within a few months uncovered wrongdoing within the acquired firm. I informed the PEG on the suspicious activity"long story", and after many proceedings, acquisition was liquidated, and thus I lost my job, but I was given a timeline for rehire by the firm(6 months and a relocation to Kuwait which I did not want at the time),Instead I Moved to NY and took a 1 yr contract as an equities trader, I developed a loss mitigation tool for new traders that is still being used and saves them an ongoing $100,000/month at a minimum.
I then took another contract for 8 months in financial reporting at Fidelity Investments, as an analyst as well in middle office finance. That ended, then After hitting 3 years + of strong WE. I developed my MBA attack plan, I needed to get back into PE, and work on my grades, so I signed up at NYU Part time , and got hired by a PEG in NYC as an intern "Private Equity Associate". I work on the Managing principle's favorite deals, and I have accomplished a lot this year. I saved the firm from a potential bad multimillion dollar investment. I have been doing that for 7-8 months now.

The managing principal will back me up 100% for my first recommendation. He is a Wharton MBA grad
The second one will be from a mentor of mine who will comment on my academics, he is a MIT MBA grad, and formerly taught at STERN, and he also managed me in a work setting in a previous internship I had at the start of the year in Investment Banking.

I also went with NYU this summer for a research intensive in Vietnam, where I worked on development programs, micro finance research, and participated in cultural and political meetings, and that lasted 3 weeks.

When my PEG internship ends, I am heading to lebanon for a visiting instructor role teaching Macro Econ, and corp finance, at a private university From December2013 till May 2014

- extracurricular involvements
Many : Red cross, Political activism, was a monitor at a major UN arms conference, volunteered in Sandy, was a Boyscout for 8 years,and I am a current active member of American Latino Professionals in Finance and accounting, and serve as a mentor to latino aspiring youth.
I coached soccer for 3 years
I played and still do at the amateur level in tournaments

- awards, patents, publications, etc...
Assisted in a publication on behavioral finance, my name is on the paper

- interesting personal facts - countries lived in, challenges faced, unusual interests:

I have traveled to 20 countries, I am Mexican and arabic as well as a US citizen. I have lived in Beirut for 13 years, survived warzones twice 1996 and 2006, as I escaped with my grandparents under heavy artillery.
I am interested in Street Art, global cultural communication(active member of Soliya), and I like to play a role in helping my friends achieve their goals.

I have a very clear view of short term goals: translate the analytical skills into a consulting career path through the education I will receive in my mba, one of my recommending supervisors will address this, he was a former Mckinsey Engagement Mgr. I want to stay for at least 5 years.

I will also reinvest my efforts into helping Hispanic youth by guiding them to pursue MBA's as well.

Target Schools :

Dartmouth, Cornell, Yale
Mich, Darden, Georgetown
Notredame, Simon

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:16 pm
Hi ahhejase,

Thanks for posting. For your application, nothing about your story makes me think there is any reason why you cannot be admitted, but nothing stands out telling me why you should be admitted. All of the reasons why a top program would admit you are in the details of your work experience, personal experiences, personality, values and overall story.

If you'd like, we have free school specific advice for the programs you are considering here:

Dartmouth: https://www.stacyblackman.com/business-s ... outh-tuck/
Cornell: https://www.stacyblackman.com/business-s ... l-johnson/

We also provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me