Master in Finance at IE/ ESADE - can I get in?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Thanks in advance for any and all help :)

I am a recent college graduate, working as a portfolio management intern at a boutique hybrid PWM / PE family office. This past summer I was a finance intern at Intelsat (the world's largest satellite telecommunications company), and I have some more internship experience from previous years (physics intern at NASA contractor, project management internship with a real estate remodeling firm).

GMAT: 2nd attempt 680 (42Q, 40V, IR 2). Just took it today after a couple months preparation; going to take it again in two months, goal is 740+.

University of Mary Washington (USA), 3.0 GPA, BSc. in Business Administration, graduated 2013. Slacked off way too much in the beginning, did much better in the last two years, had no initial motivation - terrible I know, but I'm very glad I finally woke up. The GPA has been a huge chip on my shoulder, providing motivation to better myself in other facets every day.

Extracurriculars: In college I was a financial researcher under my professor of finance, completing a literature review and helping with data parsing. Currently an active member of the Urban Land Institute and my city's Citizen's Association. Was also active as a volunteer this past summer for the Moroccan American Network's first ever Moroccan-American investor relations event in DC. Lastly, I also currently volunteer as a financial mentor for individuals/ families with low incomes through a wonderful organization in my county. In my free time I work on a bootstrapped software application that is finance-related, lift and exercise regularly, and I'm also a passionate home-brewer.

I plan to apply to IE and ESADE as soon as possible, but want to know what you guys think of my current profile with applying to them. Is my GMAT too low?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MSFHQ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 am
I think a 680 is pretty good and if you score higher it will only be marginally better. I think the biggest possible road block will be the lower GPA and the fact that you didn't go to a "major" university (no offense, just saying an adcom in France would probably know Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA, whatever). The internships help.

I'd focus on strong letters of recommendation and focusing your applications on finance with a global perspective. My buddy did the one year MBA there just as this new MSF was starting up and he said it was a very international mix of people.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by onenak » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am
Thanks for the great advice. Also, love the website. Been a great resource for me.