Idioms

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Idioms

by ani781 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:17 am
Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the Victoria and Albert Museum was one of the first of Britain's national museums seeking support from corporations and private donors and to increase income by increasing attendance.

(A) one of the first of Britain's national museums seeking support from
(B) one of Britain's first national museums seeking support of
(C) among Britain's first national museums to seek support of
(D) among the first of Britain's national museums to seek support from
(E) among Britain's first national museums that have sought the support of

Guys what is the difference between support of and support from... OA is D.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:42 am
Is the OA D. Here we can observe splits "one" and "among", "support of" and "support from", "first of Britain's" and "Britain's first". I would say "among", "support from" and Britain's first" are correct.Also "to seek" is parallel to "to increase". So A B and E are out of the race.

Now on to C and D.As for the reasons stated above D wins.Now onto your question.

The militia seeked "support from" the government.Here it implies that "to survive or to flourish the militia needs the government.

The politician said that he has the "support of" the people. Here it means "morally".

Hope it is clear.

Another one-T
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

Legendary Member

by vinay1983 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:01 am
@ Rahul and Ani, remember you had asked me about "parallelism" from right to left". Ron has answered it here.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/monkfish-t270317.html. Sorry to intrude like this.
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ani781 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:27 am
Thanks Vinay, you are super agile and that's what we need in this forum...
Thanks for the answers and pointers.

Legendary Member

by vinay1983 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:19 pm
ani781 wrote:Thanks Vinay, you are super agile and that's what we need in this forum...
Thanks for the answers and pointers.
I am just doing what i am ought to do. helping...!!!and you are welcome :) :) :) :wink:

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:18 pm
it is D
one can see that the right part of the sentence contain "to increase income by increasing attendence" for he sake of parallelism, one need to put "to seek" in the underline portion of he sentence. so it must be C or D
"support from" is the right idiom for this construction as the museum is seeking support from X and Y. so D is the right option.
using "among" because we are talking about all the museum of Britian and Victoria and Albert are among those museums.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)