Score Report - MultipleScores - What does the AdCom see??

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:700
Hi GMAC Team!

First off thank you for offering your time to reply to our concerns and uncertainties in this forum! I really appreciate it.

I re-took the GMAT last month and while I am happy with my score I am planning on retaking the test (again). I have reason to believe that I can do better without putting a disproportionate amount of effort into it.

Now, I would like to see my score first before re-submitting it to the schools, as I believe that the fact that retaking a certain test too many times could weaken an application.

My question is now: Once my "GMAT Transcript" is reported to the schools, what do they see? If I took the test again say next month, that is before they review my application, would they be able to see that I retook even if I don't explicitly forward my scores to them?

My question is more understood, if you think of the GMAT-Transcript more like "AdCom is granted access to a student's online profile" - a profile that will get updated with any changes during a certain period of time (say an application Round). This belief is strengthened by some stories I've heard, such as that AdComs do see much more information on the report than we students do (they can pull up photos, review AWA essays, etc). This would indicate that it is indeed some kind of online Profile they are granted access to.

Or is it more like a more elaborated paper-report? if this were the case, they would never know whether I did retake the GMAT after the score report was issued, right?

I am just trying to understand how the system works and insight from your side would be highly appreciated!

best regards!
chris

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:53 am
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your question.

Official Score Reports include all GMAT exams you've taken within the past five years. So, schools will see both your scores after you take your second exam.

This is not necessarily a bad thing and more importantly, not uncommon. Schools are used to seeing more than one score on reports as many test takers retake the exam to improve their scores. An improvement on your score can only work in your favor and schools will generally use the higher score as part of the admission process.

If you are concerned, I would suggest that you have an informal conversation with the admission reps at the schools you will be applying to, just to see what their position is on the scores.

I think it is also worth re-posting this message to the main forum board here to see what other test takers experience have been on this. You may be pleasantly surprised.

It sounds like you have everything under control and I wish you all the best with your exam!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:52 am
@fchris, taking the GMAT three times will not adversely affect your chances at any schools. More than that, and yeah, it can get a little iffy - but it always depends on the entirety of the profile and the actual score history. Three times is generally fine.

Good luck with it!

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

GMAT Score:700

by fchris » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:50 pm
hi there,

thank you both for your replies! really appreciated. It is very reassuring to hear those opinions from the pros! However, I am still wondering:

Could I -hypothetically speaking- retake the GMAT tomorrow, score 200 points and have no AdCom know about that score (as they'd be reviewing the score I already submitted)? is this possible?

Don't worry, I am not planing on bombing the test: It's just that knowing that I could retake test with nothing at stake would probably take the pressure off me,

thank you, chris

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 am
Hi, Chris. Updated score reports are not automatically sent to schools, so if you want a school that has already received a score report to receive an updated report, you would need to resend it. I hope that answers your question.
Leah

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by cg0588 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:45 am
Hi GMAC team,

Would it be possible to change the photo that accompanies the Official Score reports? My photo is the absolute worst and I would really like to put my best foot forward in all areas of the application. Sorry if this seems like such a silly question but a picture can really say a thousand things.

Best,

CG

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:57 am
cg0588 wrote:Hi GMAC team,

Would it be possible to change the photo that accompanies the Official Score reports? My photo is the absolute worst and I would really like to put my best foot forward in all areas of the application. Sorry if this seems like such a silly question but a picture can really say a thousand things.

Best,

CG
Hello,

I understand why you would want to have this ability, but the system is set up in such a way that the photos on the score reports cannot be updated unless you take the test again. Only the most recent exam photo will appear on the score report.

Thanks for reaching out.

Jeremy
Leah

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:59 am
cg0588 wrote:Hi GMAC team,

Best,

CG
Also this is not something that the adcoms put any weight on. Lots of people hate how they look in pictures! :-D Don't worry about this, focus on the things you have control over. As long as the actual GMAT score that goes along with the picture is solid, you should be fine!!!!! ;-)

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

by ralph87 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:31 am
Hi GMAC team,

My question is similar to the one Chris had mentioned earlier.
I had given the GMAT in April and got a 610 but i had to select the list of universities and my score got sent to them. Since I was not satisfied with my score I am giving the test again on 18th August and would like to know if those universities will get to see my new score even if I do not chose to submit it to them this time? I plan to not chose the list of 5 Universities and apply individually a later stage based on my score. What would you advise?

Thanks,
Ralph

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:34 am
ralph87 wrote:Hi GMAC team,

My question is similar to the one Chris had mentioned earlier.
I had given the GMAT in April and got a 610 but i had to select the list of universities and my score got sent to them. Since I was not satisfied with my score I am giving the test again on 18th August and would like to know if those universities will get to see my new score even if I do not chose to submit it to them this time? I plan to not chose the list of 5 Universities and apply individually a later stage based on my score. What would you advise?

Thanks,
Ralph
Hello,

The only schools that will see your new score are the schools you select during your upcoming test. The schools you previously selected will not get an update or new score report including your new score.

Best of luck on your exam!

Jeremy
Leah