How to improve my verbal score from 28 to 40

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,

This is my first post and its pretty disappointing:(

Last year I wrote my GMAT exam in the month of May. I did not attend any coaching classes. Before giving my actual GMAT exam, I gave 4-5 Mock tests(3-Manhattan Review , 2- PowerPrep GMAT). Following were my scores in those exams: 650, 660, 650, 690, 690. I gave all the exams at home with minimal breaks. My actual score turned out to be 630(Q47, V28). I wanted to break the 700 barrier. I failed miserably.

Due to some family responsibilities, I started after 1 year(May 2013)and not earlier than that, I started my preparation again. This time I focused completely on Verbal Section and started practicing all the different types of verbal questions. Before I started my practice, I went through the following material:

1. Powerscore Critical Reasoning bible.
2. OG13.
3. Manhattan SC 5th Edition.
4. Free e-gmat material available at e-gmat website.
5. Kaplan Verbal book.
6. My last Year's Notes and material.

After going through all the above material, I practiced for around 2.5 months.
Then I gave 5 mock exams before my final exam. My scores were: 690, 700, 710, 690, 700.
In all the mock exams my verbal score was consistently either 35 or 36. I was happy that I was able to break the 700 barrier in my mock exams with a better verbal score than last year.

I gave my actual GMAT exam today, I was very confident that I will be able to break the 700 barrier. But I am not sure what happened, I could not clear it. My actual score came. I got 650(Q-50,V-28). Verbal score was exactly the same as to what i got last year and both the times my actual GMAT score turned out be much lesser than my mock exam scores. I am not sure where I went wrong. I was able to finish all my sections before the time ran out. I finished the Quant section almost 8 minutes earlier than the stipulated time. I finished my verbal section 3.5 minutes earlier than the given time. I am not sure what should I do to get the desired result. Today's results have mentally drained me.

I am really in a desperate need to understand my mistakes so that I can correct them. I want to give another attempt before 15th November so that I can apply to colleges before their deadlines expire.

Can someone please advise so that I can identify what is it that I am doing terribly wrong?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:40 am
Hi sumit.saraswat,

Based on the information you provided, I was hoping that you could clarify a few points:

1) You took 5 CATs before each of your Official GMATs. Were they the same 5 CATs both times?

2) Relative to your Official GMAT, when did you take the practice CATs? For example, did you take all 5 CATs in the week leading up to your GMAT or did you take 1 CAT/week for 5 weeks leading up to your GMAT (or some other schedule)?

3) What schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by sumit.saraswat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 pm
Hi Rich.C,

Please find below my answers:

1. The 5 CATs that I took before my official GMATs were different every time. The only common mock test among them was Power Prep GMAT 1 in which I scored 690 before my first official GMAT and this time I got 710.

2. Both the times, I took my GMAT mock tests in the week leading up to my GMAT. 1 exam every day in the last week.

3. My overall experience is 6.5 Years, so I want to apply to ISB(Indian School of Business), NUS(National University of Singapore) and couple of universities in US.

by sumit.saraswat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:01 pm
Hi Rich.C,

Please find below my answers:

1. The 5 CATs that I took before my official GMATs were different every time. The only common mock test among them was Power Prep GMAT 1 in which I scored 690 before my first official GMAT and this time I got 710.

2. Both the times, I took my GMAT mock tests in the week leading up to my GMAT. 1 exam every day in the last week.

3. My overall experience is 6.5 Years, so I want to apply to ISB(Indian School of Business), NUS(National University of Singapore) and couple of universities in US.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:15 pm
Hi sumit.saraswat,

Although you didn't know it at the time, taking those 5 CATs in the week before your real GMAT was a really bad idea. The act of taking a CAT requires a lot of focus and energy and usually requires a few days to recover, review and further practice before taking another CAT. I generally advise no more than 1 CAT/week. Since you took 5 within 7 days, you likely "burned out" and that fatigue is reflected in your Verbal Score on your Official GMAT (when most people start to feel pretty tired anyway).

If you choose to retake the GMAT, then you're going to have to better "spread out" your practice CATs, so that this doesn't occur again.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by sumit.saraswat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:19 am
Hi Rich.C,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I am planning to give the exam again and as early as possible. So this time, I am definitely going to follow your tip of spreading my mock tests over the period of my preparation.

by rahul241sinha » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:00 am
Hi Sumit,
I read your article and it more or less resembles my situation. I seem to have tied everything to improve my verbal score but nothing is working out so far. I gave my gmat and my quant score is 49 but my verbal is really bad. I generally used to get around 35 in my mocks but in the official gmat exam I ended up getting a 23. If you needed have found a way to improve your verbal please do help.
Thanks,
Rahul

by AlinaAustin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:04 pm
Focus on your weakest verbal section and work over it. Work more on practice paper.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://essaywritingserviceus.blocked