Business school career advice

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Business school career advice

by scowlfaceq02 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:17 pm
I am currently in the process of applying to UNC-Kenan Flagler, Emory, UC Irvine and UC Davis. My
career goal is work in business development or sales for a investment mangement firm specializing in frontier and emerging market equity investing. In your opininon which one of these schools gives me the best shot at achieving that goal? Could you rank these schools 1-4, 1 being the most desirable and 4-being the least desirable.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:1 members

by Jon Fuller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:47 pm
scowlfaceq02 -

Thanks for your post and for contacting Clear Admit for some advice . . . this is a hard one to answer given the limited information that I actually have about you. Your post-MBA success is going to be heavily influenced by your pre-MBA background, regardless of where you go to school.

Couple of thoughts . . . where physically do you hope to live after you graduate? While the reach of Emory and UNC is reasonably strong, their recruiting connections are going to be strongest where they're situated. Almost 50% of Emory's graduates end up working in the southeast US. UNC is a little more balanced nationally, but not by leaps and bounds. Are you comfortable with the likelihood that most of your opportunities may be centered in the southeast US? UC Irvine and Davis are quality programs, but they are definitely more regional players than national and that could be a limiting factor to you if you don't have an interest in being in California and/or if you have goals of working abroad.

Overall, though, with these four schools, I'd give the edge to UNC then Emory. While UNC and Emory's employment percentages in finance are relatively similar, UNC generally has better stats and it also has its Global Business Center. Take a look - it offers some great opportunities for students interested in emerging markets. Emory also has its Center for Alternative Investments, and they support an emerging markets internship program among other things.

Best wishes to you as you make your way through the application process!

Regards,
Jon