Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:670

Contacting the admissions office

by vijayitw » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:03 am
Hello all

I am currently in the process of applying to the Kellogg and Booth PT programs. As I work through the essays, I was wondering if it was alright to get in touch with the adcoms and have a chat with them regarding my profile and my chances. I would be happy, if I could get some advise on the same.

V

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:13 am
I think you know the answer to this... imagine if all applicants did what you want to do. Would that be sustainable? ;-)

What you could do is EMAIL the admissions officers with some poignant questions about the program and what not. I would restrain from asking about your chances as I'm positive that would work against you. They would also probably give you stock responses and redirect you to their acceptance rate that is published.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:670

by vijayitw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:13 am
Thanks Money 9111

I was browsing through some old conversations in the forums and someone had advised this. Hence, my question regarding this. Thanks for taking the time to respond

V

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:23 am
I mean think of it from their perspective. They don't really know you and you're asking what your chances are... Whatever answer they would give you wouldn't suffice. I'm not saying that one can't discuss their profile with adcom members but to ask generic questions and such is something I would advise against ESPECIALLY during application season. They don't have time for all that hahaha... You can email them and ask questions but don't ask "what are my chances"
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by tinarey12 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:45 pm
I was checking the Forum for a question I had and came across this. I can only reiterate what Money 9111 has said. Do not bother the adcoms with any personal questions. They are available to answer questions about their school and its MBA programs, the more specific the better, but they do not appreciate people trying to get personal admission information out of them. Although it's obvious you are asking for and about yourself, an adcom member will usually direct the conversation to the factual aspects of your inquiry. You will get an answer to appropriate questions by e-mail and this might be better than a telephone conversation. But no fishing.