640 Q44 V35

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

640 Q44 V35

by fourteenstix » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:51 pm
For those interested, I'm an American. English is my first and only language. I hold a BS in management and an MBA. I'm a PhD aspirant.

After months of prep, a 640 is all I have to show after today. I got a 610 5.5 years ago with less than two weeks of prep, making this score all the more painful. I hoped to crack 700. This isn't a huge surprise, as my mocks never consistently indicated that I would do much better. But 640 only represents a 10pt improvement since the end of July.

Materials:
OG13
QR 2nd Edition
VR 2nd Edition
GMATPrep CATS
GMATPrep Exam Pack 1
GMATPrep Question Pack 1
MGMAT Quant Series

Courses:
EMPOWERgmat
Quantum GMAT (Dabral's)

I'd love to give my opinion on the materials/courses I used, but I wouldn't listen to me if I were in your seat. I'd be interested in the opinion of someone who actually showed some improvement. I will say that Rich from EMPOWER was very responsive and encouraging; I'm appreciative of the help beyond what I actually paid for. I will say, though, that the video based learning didn't translate into better scoring for me. Quantum and EMPOWER would both fall into that category. With that said, that's not necessarily a reflection of the teachers or courses; it very well could just be me. One takeaway could be that $ + time do not mean you'll get a great score. There was certainly no lack of financial or time investment on my part. I spent quite a bit of dough and worked my tail off. For those interested, these were my mock scores:

GMATPrep CAT 1: 640 (Q42/35) June 29th
GMATPrep CAT 2: 660 (Q42/39) July 5th
MGMAT CAT #1: 580 (Q38/V31) July 13th
GMATPrep CAT 2 Retake: 710 (Q47/V40) Aug 4th
MGMAT CAT #2: 640 (Q39/V38) Aug 31st
MGMAT CAT #3: 630 (Q45/V32) Sept 7th
MGMAT CAT #4: 640 (Q40/V36) Sept 14th
GMATPrep CAT #3: 680 Sept 21st**

**This was really a retake. My software screwed up and gave me some repeat questions, so this really isn't a trustworthy score.

Now for the actual test...

The AWA was a breeze, but that was about the last of my smooth sailing. I scored a 7 in my IR mock I took in my last GMATPrep CAT, so I wasn't too worried (I just didn't want to bomb it). Well, somehow I lost track of what question I was on, and ran out of time on the last question. I wasn't too worried, though, as I knew quant and verbal are the main events.

Quant was rough. Number properties are typically a strength of mine, but a few of these were exceptionally difficult (inequalities, absolute value, etc.). There was one combination question that I didn't even understand what was being asked. The geometry I was dealt was very layered and complex. I had nothing on rates or work, one sequence question that was manageable, and a really bizarre interest question. To top it all off, I had to rush on the last 3-4 questions--even after dumping 3-4.

Verbal felt much better. SC and CR were pretty manageable, and even the first 3 RC passages. Then comes the long science RC. I got bogged down with 4 straight detail questions that I was hunting down. Before I knew it, I swung a time surplus into a deficit. Again, I ended up rushing on the last 3-4. The last two questions were outright guesses, not even reading the stimulus or question.

Clearly, overall pacing was an issue, but so was conceptual knowledge (quant). I poured everything I had into prepping for this test, which makes falling this far short of my goal (700) that much tougher.

Hope this helps someone. That'd make my day a bit brighter!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gmathopeful25 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:40 pm
fourteenstix wrote:
GMATPrep CAT 1: 640 (Q42/35) June 29th
GMATPrep CAT 2: 660 (Q42/39) July 5th
MGMAT CAT #1: 580 (Q38/V31) July 13th
GMATPrep CAT 2 Retake: 710 (Q47/V40) Aug 4th
MGMAT CAT #2: 640 (Q39/V38) Aug 31st
MGMAT CAT #3: 630 (Q45/V32) Sept 7th
MGMAT CAT #4: 640 (Q40/V36) Sept 14th
GMATPrep CAT #3: 680 Sept 21st**
What exactly were you doing between those CAT tests? It seems like you did cat tests over a fairly long period of time but didn't see much improvement. On the plus side if you could just improve a little bit on quant and verbal than you would have a fairly good score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:00 pm
Hi fourteenstix,

First off, a 640 is not a bad score, it's just shy of the 80th percentile - we both know that you can score higher, but there are a few details here worth reviewing and I'll provide some personal advice that's specific to your situation (but I'll do that in a private email).

Whether you realize it or not, you're remarkably close to scoring a 700, so you shouldn't give up. Take a few days off, then start thinking about retesting in a month. Here are the likely reasons why the 700 didn't happen this time:

1) Your study timeline. You only spent a month with us, which is enough for some users, but not enough for others. You have an above-average natural ability, but you might have clung to that too much during your studies and on Test Day. Our program is best utilized over the course of 3 months, so that the tactics and ideas that you learn can become second-nature.

2) Pacing problems in both the Quant and Verbal sections. Having to guess on the last 3-4 questions on each section is usually not a good sign. Dumping a few tough questions is a great play on your part, as long as you did it quickly. The fact that you still had to guess on a bunch means that there were timing issues on several of the questions that you attempted to answer.

3) Your Test Date. Based on your bio, you took your GMAT on Saturday 9/28. Saturdays are my LEAST desirable Test Date, primarily because a Mon-Fri work schedule would likely "wear you out" by the end of the week. Even taking Friday "off" might not give you enough of a reprieve for a Saturday exam.

Based on our correspondence, you're too smart of a guy and you don't strike me as someone who gives up easily, so I think that the story isn't over yet. I'll be emailing you directly with some additional insight.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:44 pm
What was your score on Gmatprep # 4?
A good question also deserves a Thanks.

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That's why no-one will remember your name.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by fourteenstix » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:51 pm
Retook today: Q47 V39 700

Debrief to come!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:26 pm
what did you do differently!?

Congrats!
A good question also deserves a Thanks.

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That's why no-one will remember your name.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:27 pm
Hi fourteenstix,

That's OUTSTANDING news! I know how hard you worked to earn that score, so congratulations.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]