GMAC - reporting an incident

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

GMAC - reporting an incident

by melguy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:03 am
Hello Rebecca

I recently reported an incident of what happened during my exam.

1) Other Candidates: I checked it on 10:30 and the other candidate checked it at 11:00 or 11:15. So right when my exam is in progress the candidate is sitting on the other side of the half floor height glass partition and checking in. It was all clearly audible to me. I had to wear ear plugs which may or may not have affected my performance. Are there any rules around it?

2) Replacement pad: I asked for a replacement writing pad and the Centre manager took atleast 3-4 minutes to pick a pad even when a bundle of 15 pads was sitting on his table within 3 feet from him and me. After 3-4 mins of casually walking around the small room when he gave me the writing pad he asked me to give it back to him to check if nothing was written on it. That was a good 5 mins of lost time and I had to skip 2 questions in a row.

3) Noise: There was construction noise on the upper floor (although it din't go for more than 15-20 mins). The centre manager sitting on the other side of the (half floor length) glass partition yelled out something on his mobile phone. I was concentrating so did not pay any attention but are there any rules around for such things?

* I am happy to provide you my appointment ID and you are welcome to check the video recording for #1,#2 and #3.

I got a typical response from the GMAC

Thank you for contacting Pearson VUE.

We would like to information that investigation has been completed for the incident number 205------.

We would not be able to honor your request as there was no complaint during the exam.

So am I expected to stop writing the exam and sit down to file incident reports with the testing center manager?

What is the point of all the audio / video recording and reporting the incident when GMAC has already decided the outcome of an incident? I am giving you my appointment ID. You recorded me for 4 hours during the exam. If I am lying, then you can prove me wrong with the video evidence.

This arises my suspicion even more than there is something going on at the test center. I scored 610 in multiple CATs and all of a sudden I get a 510 in the real exam.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 am
Hi melguy. I really am very sorry for the inconvenience caused. As you can not post your GMAT ID here, please email [email protected] with your issues and your GMAT ID. I have already informed them of your issues and they are now expecting your email.

I hope all goes well.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 am
melguy wrote:Hello Rebecca

1) Other Candidates: I checked it on 10:30 and the other candidate checked it at 11:00 or 11:15. So right when my exam is in progress the candidate is sitting on the other side of the half floor height glass partition and checking in. It was all clearly audible to me. I had to wear ear plugs which may or may not have affected my performance. Are there any rules around it?

2) Replacement pad: I asked for a replacement writing pad and the Centre manager took atleast 3-4 minutes to pick a pad even when a bundle of 15 pads was sitting on his table within 3 feet from him and me. After 3-4 mins of casually walking around the small room when he gave me the writing pad he asked me to give it back to him to check if nothing was written on it. That was a good 5 mins of lost time and I had to skip 2 questions in a row.

3) Noise: There was construction noise on the upper floor (although it din't go for more than 15-20 mins). The centre manager sitting on the other side of the (half floor length) glass partition yelled out something on his mobile phone. I was concentrating so did not pay any attention but are there any rules around for such things?

* I am happy to provide you my appointment ID and you are welcome to check the video recording for #1,#2 and #3.

We would like to information that investigation has been completed for the incident number 205------.

We would not be able to honor your request as there was no complaint during the exam.

So am I expected to stop writing the exam and sit down to file incident reports with the testing center manager?

What is the point of all the audio / video recording and reporting the incident when GMAC has already decided the outcome of an incident? I am giving you my appointment ID. You recorded me for 4 hours during the exam. If I am lying, then you can prove me wrong with the video evidence.

This arises my suspicion even more than there is something going on at the test center. I scored 610 in multiple CATs and all of a sudden I get a 510 in the real exam.
Hope this gets resorted asap melguy!
Wish you the best.
A good question also deserves a Thanks.

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That's why no-one will remember your name.

by melguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 pm
Yet again GMAC has rejected whatever I said, claiming that I am lying! What is the point of recording for hours when GMAC does not even bothers to listen to what anyone has to say.

I should "notify the administrator immediately". i.e. I should have stopped writing the exam and sit down with the center manager to write a incident report.

For argument sake .. lets take an example when the candidate cheated during the exam. How so ever the candidate successfully cheated during the exam and somehow got a good score and got away with the act. The cheating was caught in video evidence.

Can the candidate then say "GMAC should have notified me immediately". Tough luck I wasn't notified immediately. Now i get to keep the score.

Does it works both ways or can the GMAC twist the rules to work in it's favour only?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:08 am
It's too bad you didn't file a complaint at the center before you left.
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

by melguy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:52 am
To be honest - I was very upset with the score and I was in total shock. I accept that I went wrong with verbal but I do not accept my Quant score even today. It just din't cross my mind that GMAC wont even bother listening to me later.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:15 am
Hi melguy, it's Tina from GMAC again. If you haven't already done so, please email [email protected], providing them with your GMAT ID and details of your concerns during your exam. As I mentioned in the previous post, they are expecting to receive an email from you about this matter and can only look into this if they have your GMAT ID. We would like to do our best to ensure the matter is looked into thoroughly for you.

Please email the team as soon as you possible can.

Thanks,
Tina
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by melguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:21 pm
Hello Tina

I emailed [email protected] right after reading your first post. I got a reply from [email protected]

"
We have performed a technical review of your exam, which documents every keystroke, button selection, and second of the exam, and confirmed that you did not skip any questions during the exam, as you have indicated in your email to GMAC. The exam review also confirms that there were no periods of inactivity that would coincide with your statement of losing 5 minutes of your exam.

Furthermore, it is clearly stated on page 6 of the GMAT Handbook that candidates must "notify the administrator immediately if you have a problem with the computer, software, or any other issue." This is to ensure that the Test Administrator is given the opportunity to resolve any issues that may arise during your exam. While we understand that you do not want to lose exam time by doing this, the Test Administrator is unable to rectify any issues that may arise if you do not notify them of such issues.
This is our final decision regarding this matter and any further requests will not be considered. This incident is now closed."

No point of giving any explanation here as Pearson VUE conveniently skipped 2 points entirely (even after me asking them to check the video) and is adamant that I am lying about the replacement pad. So be it.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by its4me » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 am
melguy wrote:Hello Rebecca

Hi Melguy,

First of all I am sorry to hear that you didn't get your desired score.
I would like to put some points here you can either take it or leave it.
1. Gmac doesn't give any importance what to ever to the mock tests. Doesn't matter you score 800 on MGMAT,KAPLAN, Veritas and all other mocks. All they care about is their score. which is kind of fair. If I were you I wouldn't put my mock score as a part of the defence. Because they can show probably 1,000 candidates who scored 700 on mocks and 550 570 on real. Even you can search for such people. Everyone have their own issues.
2. You should have raised the issue then and there because later on it sort of looks like you are trying to defend the low score.
3. They can't revert your score now neither will they give you refund. I would say if you are confident just take another mock. I know $250 is not small amount. for some people its bigger. For people earning in $ its small amount but not for everyone.
4. In future if you have any issue just report it then and there so that they can do something then.

I was not allowed to take GATORADE because GMAC rule book says water. Well gatorade is a water but flavoured water. I could have argued there that the paper doesn't say plain water but I didn't and just moved on. There is no point wasting your energy on these issues rather concentrate on something that can happen. I wish you all the best
Thanks