how do I overcome this wired state of mind ?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
Hi ..

I 've this wired state that every time I try to do verbal section in timed condition I fail to solve 45% of the questions ( mostly the quizzes where I randomly mix the difficulty level) .

say for e.g out of 15 CR questions I get 6-7 wrong most of the time . And when I try to review after the first attempt , I always get the answer right in the next . This indicates that I have an understanding in the concept tested , but , when tackled under timed condition my mind sort of deviates . The same goes with RC passages .

How do I improve this? I only have 2 Mocks to practice and my test date is approaching fast . Appreciate any guidance I can get from fellow members / experts ...

thank you in anticipation ..

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:21 pm
I know this goes without saying (hopefully), but recall that the GMAT is an adaptive test. Meaning, if the algorithm is working correctly -- the test is supposed to feel hard. You should be getting questions wrong -- that's how the algorithm finds your scoring range.

Please tell me if I missed the point of your question.

Thanks.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ani781 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:21 pm
I know this goes without saying (hopefully), but recall that the GMAT is an adaptive test. Meaning, if the algorithm is working correctly -- the test is supposed to feel hard. You should be getting questions wrong -- that's how the algorithm finds your scoring range.
Brian,
I think what Guerrero is trying to say is that the range that he is failing at. I m commenting on this , as I have exactly the same problem. I and hopefully Guerrero don't have a problem in failing to answers correctly, but not at the range we are failing at; especially, as we have the needed concepts to get the CRs/RCs correct. It is only under timed condition that this is happening.

Guerrero, sorry to have represented you without your consent. But I think I have the same problem.

Cheers.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 am
guerrero wrote:
say for e.g out of 15 CR questions I get 6-7 wrong most of the time . And when I try to review after the first attempt , I always get the answer right in the next . This indicates that I have an understanding in the concept tested , but , when tackled under timed condition my mind sort of deviates . The same goes with RC passages .
For the Verbal section, you must engage 100% in every passage. If you approach a new passage with dread ("yeesh, this is going to be a killer"), your concentration will wane, and you'll need to re-re-read sentences. So, try to feign (fake) genuine interest ("Excellent! This passage is about protozoa - fantastic, I've always wanted to learn about this!!"). The greater your engagement, the better your results.

You'll find additional tips to help you better engage with the passage in this free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... on?id=1123

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:33 am
People tend to underscore on the verbal section because they bring their own errors with them. The verbal section has a single correct answer for each question, just as the Quant section does!

As you say guerrero when you look back at the question the answer is obvious to you. There is something in the pressure that you are putting on yourself that is causing you to look for shortcuts or to get your mindset in the wrong place. This can cause you to bring in outside information, to make big assumptions, to get confused and so forth.

You need to take each question as it comes and focus on that question. Brent has correctly indicated that you need to be focused and involved in each question that you attempt. You cannot do this if you are rushed or worried or preoccupied or anything of the sort.

Your performance may also indicate that your critical reasoning procedure is not simple enough. You should be working to simplify the verbal and not complicate it. If you truly have the critical reasoning under control you will not be so heavily impacted by the moment. Slow down and try to focus on the correct portions of each argument.

Remember, methods that fail you when you need them are not reliable methods for the GMAT!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Hey guys -- re-engaging here. Thought this article might be helpful in developing some broader strategies around time management.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nt-part-1/

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)