Civil War (1000SC/Q67)

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Civil War (1000SC/Q67)

by bornsupreme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:43 am
Hi All,

Please look at the below quesion:

After the Civil War, contemporaries of Harriet Tubman's maintained that she has all of the qualities of a great leader, coolness in the face of danger, an excellent sense of strategy, and an ability to plan in minute detail.
(A) Tubman's maintained that she has
(B) Tubman's maintain that she had
(C) Tubman's have maintained that she had
(D) Tubman maintained that she had
(E) Tubman had maintained that she has

OA later...

Thanks.
Some choose L!fe, Some choose death.
I choose not to choose.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by xcusemeplz2009 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:45 am
IMO D

contemporaries(possesive) of Harriet Tubman’s(possesive)
to possesive is redundant so eliminate A,B,C
In E verb sequencing error
It does not matter how many times you get knocked down , but how many times you get up

by bornsupreme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:16 am
Hi xcusemeplz,

Got ya!!
Since Tubman is used as possessive noun but sentence uses a subject pronoun to refer Tubman. So the ans choices A,B,C are invalid.
But one more doubt I have "Isn't the use of had here unambiguous here coz had is used with a past participle but there is no participles used in the clause --qualities of a great leader, coolness in the face of danger, an excellent sense of strategy, and an ability to plan in minute detail--

Correct me please..

Thanks.
Some choose L!fe, Some choose death.
I choose not to choose.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by umeshpatil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:18 am
Along with correct answer choice:

After the Civil War, contemporaries of Harriet Tubman maintained that she had all of the qualities of a great leader: coolness in the face of danger, an excellent sense of strategy, and an ability to plan in minute detail.

Can any one please tell me literal meaning of sentence- Contemporaries of HT maintained that she has all qualities of leader.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:29 am
umeshpatil wrote:Along with correct answer choice:

After the Civil War, contemporaries of Harriet Tubman maintained that she had all of the qualities of a great leader: coolness in the face of danger, an excellent sense of strategy, and an ability to plan in minute detail.

Can any one please tell me literal meaning of sentence- Contemporaries of HT maintained that she has all qualities of leader.
{A} - Incorrect; Tubman's is incorrect... we need a noun.. and not a possessive noun
{B} - Incorrect; Tubman's is incorrect... we need a noun.. and not a possessive noun
{C} - Incorrect; Tubman's is incorrect... we need a noun.. and not a possessive noun
{D} - Correct
{D} - Incorrect; wrong usage of Past Perfect Tense.. the "had" should be along with the earlier past event and not with the later.

Your Query:
Contemporaries(people of same age/time) of Harriet maintained(support) that she had all the qualities..

Meaning.. people of Harriet's time/age supported her by stating that she has all the qualities of a leader..
R A H U L

by riz_gmat » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 am
umeshpatil wrote:Along with correct answer choice:

To understand clearly why past perfect tense is used " she had " , should give importance to very first part of the sentence, ie, After the Civil War, the contemporaries maintained that she had all qualities of great leader during the war time, that is past(war time) before another past action(maintained).

Hope this helps!
Please thank,if helped :D